Parenting a cultural thing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Melanie20766
    Participant
    Is the desire to have children instinctive, or is it culturally bestowed?

User Detail :  

Name : Melanie20766, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Trudy
    It's both. There would have to be an instinctive desire somewhere, or humans would not have survived as a species. However, there is a cultural component as well. Some cultures put more value on having families than others, and family size is also often related to culture.

User Detail :  

Name : Trudy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Mormon, Age : 21, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Trina24896
    Participant
    For me, its culturally bestowed. I must have been born without a biological clock because I have no desire, whatsoever, to have children. Raising a child is just not something I feel I need to do.

User Detail :  

Name : Trina24896, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Network Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jamie
    It's instinctive. Instincts have evolved to make us more likely to have children, beacuse people who have children pass on their genes and people who don't don't. So it's logical that the desire to have children is instinctive.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Torbay, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jenna
    Participant
    I think it's instinctive...I found myself unexpectedly pregnant at 18. I am pro-choice, and I did consider abortion for myself, but never very seriously. The desire to have the baby I knew was inside of me was overwhelming. Having a baby at that age was just as difficult as I thought it would be, but all I can say is for me, it FELT instinctual.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I believe that the desire to have a child is exactly that,the desire-instinct. Just thinking you should have children becuase your culture dictates it seems so un-natural.

User Detail :  

Name : S. Alvarado, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Seal Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Exton
    Participant
    The desire to have sex is instinctive. The desire to raise the resulting children is cultural. You can find quite a bit of scientific study on the subject if you're interested in the specifics, and how we found these things out.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

DanielPfalmer
    Participant
    It's instinctive. Some cultures can try to suppress it but it rarely works. It comes on at different times for different people though. Some people get the urge as while they are still children themselves and some people don't get it until in their 40's or not at all in some cases, although that's rare.

User Detail :  

Name : DanielPfalmer, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Fairbanks, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    Throughout history, women haven't had access to safe, effective and affordable until recently. They haven't had much choice. Biology usually favors survival of the species, so women tend to have maternal instincts. There are many exceptions though. I believe I treated my cat with more maternal affection and concern than I received. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Breeding is instinctive but as American capitalist culture makes it more and more difficult to have children, people are having to opt for survival over parenthood. We are a nation where it takes two incomes just to live, where only federal employees get mandated maternity leave, sick days, vacation, etc. Female employees in the private sector are routinely punished with lack of advancement for getting pregnant, if they even get to keep their jobs at all. It's no wonder the US birthrate is falling amongst all but those willing to plunge themselves into abject poverty in order to have kids.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.