Pardon me, but is that a sock on your head?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jason31274
    Participant
    I have noticed a number of younger African Americans wearing knee-high pantyhose on their heads. I would like to know why this is done, and where this trend came from.
    Original Code R354. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31274, Gender : M, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

BJ-Hunt
    Participant
    Those aren't knee-his. They're wave caps. They help keep waves in their hair. Actually, they're supposed to be worn when they sleep. Perhaps they're getting their hair ready so it will look good when they reach their destination (work, party, school).

User Detail :  

Name : BJ-Hunt, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Florissant, State : MO Country : United States, 

J. Allen
    It's called a stocking cap or wave cap. With African-American hair being naturally curly, we can style it so that the hair becomes 'wavy,' henceforth 'wave cap.' Traditionally it was worn to bed and taken off in the morning. But, with younger generations, it's become a trend to wear them everywhere. In the past it was worn by men only, because our hair was generally shorter than our female counterparts. Then women began wearing their hair shorter, allowing them to wear the same hair style. As always, younger generations have a more relaxed sense of style than the previous. Once, wave caps were worn in the house only. Then, it became socially allowable to wear them outside. Now, young people have decided that wave caps are fashionable attire. My generation would never have worn them as a hat (and I'm not that old), which shows how quickly trends and social atmospheres change.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Allen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Office Assistant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.