Out of the Big House

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mary-R
    Participant
    Is it possible for a 37-year-old man who has served half his life in a penitentiary and is now being released to live a productive life? What would it take on an emotional and spiritual level to take him through the transitional phase?
    Original Code GD12. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary-R, Gender : M, City : Teague, State : TX Country : United States, 

Al
    Participant
    As one who had performed many hundreds of volunteer hours in prison chaplaincy, I believe I can answer this simply and logically. The person in question has to have an earnest and overwhelming desire to 'make it' completely on their own - with no societal crutches. At the same time, they must be prepared to accept limited intervention in their life for the first two or three years, and then be ready to accept suspicion and fear on the part of many potential employers and associates. Only someone who is completely de-criminalized in their mind (not desiring EVER to return to crime as a lifestyle and willing to do whatever it may take) will succeed. The rate of return is very high - more than 95% of cons seek to return to prison as a means of retreating from an unloving world. Wanting to go straight is not enough -- one must act straight, live straight, keep only straight friends, etc. It is impossible to play the part and survive for very long on the outside. To whomever this may come, I wish you the best of luck; if you really desire to adjust and stay out - go for it!

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicodemus Smith
    Participant
    Of course it's possible. In short, a healthy spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ can make him better than ever. Read Lee Strobel's (Sp?) A Case for Christ for some good examples.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicodemus Smith, Gender : M, City : Sugar Land, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.