Offending smokers with “non-smoking” laws

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jay
    Participant
    Do non-smoking facilities offend smokers?

User Detail :  

Name : Jay, Gender : M, City : Bluff City, State : TN Country : United States, 

Ms-Levity
    Participant
    I am a smoker and I don't usually get upset about some facilities who don't offer a smoking area. Lately, I believe that it is getting out of hand. If I go to a restaurant and find out that it is non smoking, I have a choice to make. I can either go in and eat a nice dinner and wait until Im done and go to my car to have a smoke or I can get back into the car and go somewhere else. I am getting upset that everything is geared toward non smokers. They have a choice too. They don't have to stay at a restaurant if they offer a smoking section. Why do smokers have to suffer????

User Detail :  

Name : Ms-Levity, City : Nowhere, State : PA Country : United States, 

John S.
    Participant
    I wouldn't be surprised if it does offend some smokers. If a smoker is offended, then it's an illogical feeling of offense. A smoker chooses to smoke, but there are times when non-smokers have no choice but to be around smokers. In a situation like this, since a smoker never has a need to smoke, smoking should be avoided.

User Detail :  

Name : John S., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : 75% white, 25% Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Lake Charles, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

David28669
    Participant
    I smoke, and I don't find them offensive; however, if they designate a smoking area for staff/customers outside the building I find it incredibly offensive if they don't bother to cover it. While it's become very PC to despise smokers, they are people, too.

User Detail :  

Name : David28669, Gender : M, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Tiberious28727
    Participant
    Before I begin, I must say that I'm a smoker. That said, which is your actual question? If it's about a building or a business that chooses to be non-smoking, as per the post, no, it doesn't offend me. I say this because the owner has made a clear choice that he believes benefits him, personally or fiscally. However, if the title is to be believed, anti-smoking laws deeply offend me. This is the government stepping in and discriminating against those that light up. We don't choose to once nicotine has its hold on us (read the definition of addiction), and more importantly, the business owner had had THEIR choice stripped away from them. I live in a state that has recently adopted anti-smoking laws, so this is a subject that strikes a deep chord with me, and I appreciate the opportunity to speak my mind.

User Detail :  

Name : Tiberious28727, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, 

Shella
    Participant
    If a business decides it wants to be a non-smoking establishment, it's certainly their right to make that choice, but it's also my right to choose not to patronize that establishment. What bothers me is legislation mandating that businesses can't allow smoking if they choose.

User Detail :  

Name : Shella, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Lompoc, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

GordonR
    I try to be polite about smoking, so I always ask before I light up. If I choose to go to a non-smoking establishment, I assume I'll just have to smoke outside, and I'm not offended at all. I don't throw my butts on the ground, and even outside, I try to stand as far away from nonsmokers as possible. I am irritated, though, that the state government wants to make all bars in my state non-smoking. I think if a bar owner (and the bar patrons) want the bar to be non-smoking, they should be able to make that decision. But what if a bar owners (and the patrons) want the bar to be a smoking establishment? They should be allowed to make that decision, too. In my state, if you go outside (to smoke) you can't take your drink. I just want to have a place I can go to where I can have a dri

User Detail :  

Name : GordonR, City : Salt Lake City, State : UT Country : United States, 

mrcyberchuckie
    Participant
    as the smokers want to infilterate their own worlds and the non smokers have enough of their own aready but still want to infilterate the smokers world is unfair. you have your place and i have mine, get over it, go to your place and leave me and my constitutional rights alone. try and channel that energy to fight congress or something that's really worthwhile...

User Detail :  

Name : mrcyberchuckie, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Transportation, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MarshaG
    Participant
    I understand that non-smokers don't want to inhale second-hand smoke, but passing laws to forbid smoking AROUND buildings seems excessive. Until the issue of pollution is more fully addressed, I will continue to feel like I am being singled out for punishment. At the college I attend, they do not allow smoking on the grounds at all. I feel this is unfair since I am paying for an education. It seems everywhere I go I have to leave to smoke. A hospital in my area won't even let you sit in your vehicle and smoke! I don't have children, so I don't think that they should have the right to forbid my smoking. In addition, where do the laws stop? What will be next? Okay, let's not allow a certain type of dress or hairstyle....next let's decide for other people what they are allowed to say...where will it end? I vote. I pay taxes. Why do I have to stand out in the rain or snow? I resent not having a smoking section in restaurants in particular. I don't mind being separated, but I do mind paying money for an evening out and having to leave quickly so that I can have a cig. So, it's okay for people to be offensively dressed, or allow their children to scream....but I can't smoke. This is fair?

User Detail :  

Name : MarshaG, Gender : Female, Age : 48, City : Mountain View, State : AR Country : United States, 

CherylM
    Non-smoking facilities sure do offend me. Until they start offering "smoking" facilities I will continue to be offended. It's a private property issue as far as I'm concerned. If you own a business, you should have the choice of making it smoking or non. If you want both, then accommodate both, but the government nor anyone else should not have the right to tell you what to allow in your own establishment unless it is illegal. I would love to see a federal class-action suit filed on this issue.

User Detail :  

Name : CherylM, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 

MaryK
    Participant
    Most anti-smoking laws are to protect workers, who should not have to endure 8 hours or more of second-hand smoke. In the future smokers will have two choices - your car or your home, and maybe not even your car. Try nicotine gum or lozenges when you're out and leave the air clean for non-smokers. Better yet, quit. People do it everyday and they are universally healthier and smell better.

User Detail :  

Name : MaryK, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 55, City : Sarasota, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

AngelaM
    Participant
    I go to college where such a splendid law is not in place and everyday this is what happens: On my way to class I'm walking behind a smoker, as I go up to the building I'm walking through a cloud of smoke from the smokers outside the doors, when I get on the bus some smoker puts out their cigarette and hops right on bringing the overwhelming smoke smell into the entire bus. Sure you pay your money like everyone else but you're also infringing on the rights of non-smokers to breath fresh air. I hope they make that a law on my campus

User Detail :  

Name : AngelaM, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : ., Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Denton, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

CletusF.
    Participant
    I love smoking. I do it all the time. I wish the government would let us smoke some, for Christ's sake. What is wrong with me enjoying the plant that built America? Where I live they won't let you smoke inside anywhere. This stuff pisses me off so much!

User Detail :  

Name : CletusF., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 35, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.