OK if I go to a gay bar?

• This topic has 7 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by C..
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Molli
    Participant
    Is it rude to go to a gay bar is you are not gay?

User Detail :  

Name : Molli, Gender : Female, City : Sioux city, State : IA Country : United States, 

C.
    Participant
    I hope so! I've gone on a number of occasions with an openly gay friend. We like to dance, and he had a favorite bar, while I didn't really care where we went. I celebrated my 30th birthday with good-looking men who didn't want to sleep with me but who were very glad to spin me around the dance floor. As long as you tip waitstaff well and aren't judgmental, there shouldn't be a problem.

User Detail :  

Name : C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40ish, City : Galveston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Gay bars have some of the coolest people in them. By all means, indulge.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KayeWatson
    I bring straight friends to gay bars and go to straight bars with them. It is absolutely OK for straights to go to gay bars as long as they aren't rude or hateful to the gay people the bar was meant for. Keep in mind that you may be hit on by someone of your gender. After all, it is a gay bar; most people there might assume you are gay. If you respectfully tell someone that you are straight they will almost always back off and go flirt with someone they may actually be able to pick up.

User Detail :  

Name : KayeWatson, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : American, Religion : no religion, Age : 26, City : Hammond, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marianne
    Participant
    I can't speak for how gay men feel about this. My guess is they don't have a problem with women in their bars. As for myself, I have no problem with women coming to women's bars (duh). My problem is when they come with men, dance with men, hold hands with men, smooch with men in lesbian bars. I see that EVERYWHERE I GO. It would be nice if there was one little piece of the world where who I am and what I do is the norm. It would be nice if the women's bar was that place. I would rephrase your question like this: Is it ok for a Christian to go to services at a synagogue? Answer: Of course! But it's not OK if you go there and a) make the sign of the cross b) add "In Jesus' name" at the end of a prayer c) Don't wear a yarmulke etc. See my point here? When in Rome.....

User Detail :  

Name : Marianne, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 54, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Stage Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

GordonR
    Of course you can go to a gay bar even if you're not gay. You'll probably have a great time. Lots of straight women enjoy bars frequented by gay men because they can make friends and have a good time without a bunch of drunk guys hitting on them. I'm gay and I always enjoy talking with the straight women who come into the club. They like to laugh and flirt and it's a hoot. Try it! You may have a fun evening.

User Detail :  

Name : GordonR, City : Salt Lake City, State : UT Country : United States, 

KarahT
    My friends took me to a gay bar - I think it is good to go if you are curious. Also - keeps you open minded and less "judgey." Doesn't mean you are part of their "world" as some call it, but might let them know that you except them. It was awkward for me at first but I actually felt more accepted there verses a straight bar.

User Detail :  

Name : KarahT, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 35, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

KenyaE
    Participant
    It's fine, I go all the time when I want to hang out and not get hit on. Kenya E

User Detail :  

Name : KenyaE, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.