Not black enough for BBQ sauce?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Greg
    I went to KFC the other day and got some chicken strips. When I asked for sauce, the server just assumed I wanted honey mustard. When I asked for BBQ flavor sauce, he looked at me like he'd never seen a white person who ate BBQ before. Is there some secret meaning in BBQ sauce that I don't know about? Am I not black enough for BBQ?

User Detail :  

Name : Greg, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Fredericksburg, State : VA Country : United States, 

Shu27988
    Participant
    This doesn't sound like a race problem it sounds like a 'it's all in your head problem.' Ever seen those Kraft BBQ sauce commercials? They're chock-full of white people. The worker either wasn't fluent in English (which tends to happen at fast-food joints these days.) or perhaps his personal preference was Honey Mustard and he found it strange that anyone would want to dip their chicken in what looks like five-day-old menstrual fluid.

User Detail :  

Name : Shu27988, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Rosslyn, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

A. Will
    Participant
    I think you are paranoid. Liking BBQ sauce and being black do not go hand in hand. There are many more whites who eat BBQ sauce, especially in the South. If blacks had ownership over BBQ sauce, they would own many more BBQ sauce companies - think about it.

User Detail :  

Name : A. Will, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : R.N., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eddie-C
    Participant
    Hey, don't sweat it - every fast-food restaurant I go to, they automatically assume that because I'm black I want BBQ sauce, when my preference is sweet and sour or honey mustard. And it does not matter if the person taking my order is black or white - it's the same result.

User Detail :  

Name : Eddie-C, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 47, City : Boynton Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Harvey
    You are joking,right?

User Detail :  

Name : Harvey, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 48, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

B.Z.
    Participant
    Ummm -- should we assume that the server was black, or something? I've never heard of this stereotype. - b.z.

User Detail :  

Name : B.Z., Gender : M, Age : 28, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dick-Tracy
    Participant
    No You Are Not Black Enough for BBQ

User Detail :  

Name : Dick-Tracy, City : Louisiana, State : AR Country : United States, 

Eric25195
    Participant
    Go to Kansas City, capital of BBQ and everybody and their mother eats BBQ, regardless of race

User Detail :  

Name : Eric25195, City : Heidelberg, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : Military, 

JerryS
    Participant
    I wouldn't read much into it. Maybe the server thinks their barbecue sauce is crap, and doesn't understand why anyone would eat it.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Taz
    Participant
    Is it possible you may be overreacting? It might be that the most popular choice of sauce at that particular KFC is honey mustard. Not everything in life is racially motivated. Sometimes we need to relax a little.

User Detail :  

Name : Taz, Gender : M, Age : 33, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Nathan20141
    Participant
    I went to IHOP (Not Denny's, they don't like blacks there, but that's another post) Anyway, I went to IHOP and got chicken strips too and they just tossed Honey-Mustard sauce in the bag I didn't mind at all, the smoke in there was making me gag and I just wanted to get out of there. The server was very polite and could see that I needed to go. I appreciated that he thought of it at all. Maybe your server was just a Jack-a... Uhhm a jerk. He probably just didn't want to be bothered with doing a good job. Maybe he was surprized that you got chicken at all. You KNOW that chicken is reserved for certain ethnic groups...

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20141, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 40, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.