Not all in the ghetto

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Temeaka
    Participant
    Why do white people think all blacks are "ghetto"?

User Detail :  

Name : Temeaka, Gender : F, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Rick29790
    Participant
    We don't.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29790, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominique
    Participant
    The term Ghetto is not an adj. Ghetto is a noun describing a slum where usually a minority group is concentrated. So using ghetto to describe something is incorrect. It is also derogatory. When people crack a joke about you containing that word, they probably arent complementing you. In short, that word mocks poor people all over the world, and we all should probably stop joking about it. Second, I didnt know you knew how all Euro/Euro-Americans felt. Im sure lots or people dont even use the word ghetto in the same sense you do. For those 'whites' who seem to be 'ghetting' to you, I would suggest you forget them as you would any other dummy and go on about your buisness.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Erin25254
    Participant
    It's mainly because of the way they talk,and act.Sometimes I can barely understand what they are saying,because it's all slang and we (most)of us do not talk like that.I have to wonder what kind of grades some of these people got in English class ! Let's face it people can not be behind the counter at the GUCCI store in Beverly Hills talking like that !

User Detail :  

Name : Erin25254, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Gibralter, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Noneofyabusiness
    Participant
    I will tell you why. because that term is thrown out so freely and used the majority of the time when referring to us. White people are just as if not more ghetto than we are. When they are ghetto it's just country or different, or they just don't accept it. When they sound like they're from a different reagion they just call it being 'from somewhere else' That is the saddest excuse. It's funny to me though that 'everything' is now all of a sudden coined as being 'ghetto'. I heard a white girl say to another while she entered class late 'oh my gosh, your late, thats so ghetto' I was like huh? How in the hell did you just use that word? I could do nothing but laugh, she thought I was laughing with her but I was laughing at her. They absolutely have no clue. Ghetto to me any is G-etting H-igher E-ducation T-o T-each O-stracizist. but whatever...

User Detail :  

Name : Noneofyabusiness, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : full time college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Seamus28216
    Participant
    Part of it is lack of exposure. The only times many Whites actually see Blacks is on crime reports and rap videos, where the Blacks in question do nothing to alleviate those prejudices. These White folks are easily fooled into believing this is how most Black people act because of their own ignorance. Another factor is limited exposure. Many Blacks seem to take a perverse pleasure in being able to 'scare' Whites and look for any chance to do so or point it out. The behaviour that results almost seems to ask for this type of reaction. These White folks are easily fooled into believing this is how most Black people act because of some Black people's own ignorance.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28216, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Construction, Social class : Lower class, 

Leslie
    I'm white - and don't think that at all. Why do you feel that way? I've lived next door to and worked with many black people - and never in the ghetto. I guess by ghetto you mean the run down areas in the big cities. That's where the poor white people used to live - now I guess they're in the suburbs. I'm sure there are alot of recent immigrants from other countries and Hispanics that live in the ghetto. I think poor white people would be afraid to live there.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50, City : Lewes, State : DE Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandy
    Participant
    I have lived in the 'ghetto' myself and experienced drive-by shootings and the like, and while my 'hood was populated by predominantly black people, I don't know anyone around here who applies ghetto stereotypes to all black folks. I live in Minneapolis, which is pretty diverse, surprisingly, and around here there are plenty of respectable black folks, just as there are plenty of ghetto-acting white folks, and a whole bunch of other kinds of people, too. I think the ghetto image is largely perpetuated by MTV and lots of TV and films. For some reason, spoiled suburban white kids have the idea that all black people are about is ho's, gold chains and low-rider Cadillacs; and even worse, that those accoutrements can give meaning to the value-deficient lives of spoiled suburban white kids. People will always cling to self-serving stereotypes because learning about others and building character are just too much work.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, German, Norwegian!, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : clerical, student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer31058
    Participant
    I'm sure there are some whites who think all blacks are 'ghetto', but those whites certainly aren't in the majority. Those whites who think like that are obviously racist, and since racism is a completely irrational phenomenon, there is no answer to the question 'Why?' Most whites do not think all blacks are 'ghetto'.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer31058, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

bob23112
    Participant
    many whites believe that most blacks come from the ghetto because that's what black culture shows us. look at rap music...i work in a music store and all day, every day, i hear hip hop blasting over the speakers, only every other word involves killing, hurting, stealing, fucking, dealing drugs, using drugs, cursing, and getting money, shoes, cars, jewlery, and women, and, of course, being from the ghetto or the hood...now switch over to the news media and movies and television shows and black comedians, etc....all they talk about or show is blacks being from the ghetto, acting sub-human...then go out on the street...blacks speak a totally different language than English...a dialect is one thing, but it's almost unintelligable...they are loud, have terrible grammer and act out at every oppurtunity (i.e. they see someone trip on a sidewalk, they fall over laughing about it when in fact, it's not that funny to anyone)...but back to the point, blacks only hurt themselves by putting these rappers and 'gangstas' and thugs to the forefront to represent their culture...they furthur seperate themselves from AMERICAN culture, regardless of race...they represent themselves in a horrible manner in all aspects of life and thewn stupidly wonder why white people...actually all people, think they are from the ghetto...and i hate to break it to all you blacks out there, but almost everyone feels this way about you all...i mean, behind closed doors, ALL people of ALL races talk shit about your culture and how absolutly rude you are...so please, don't be suprised when ALL people view blacks as sub-human

User Detail :  

Name : bob23112, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Melissa
    Participant
    Well for me, as a white person, and I cant speak for all but i think many will agree with me; its because of the way Blacks chose to portray themselves on t.v,in movies and then in public. Honestly 9 out of every 10 blacks I meet have a Cocky arrogant attitude, Speak ebonics and always seem to have a mean look on their faces. Most black people to me dont seem to inviting, well the younger generation i mean.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

brandi23158
    Participant
    i think that white people think that all blacks are ghetto because most white people are raised in 'respectable' communities and are more fortunate money wise. unfourtunatley not all black people are born with a silver spoon and are subjected by scociety to live in low-income housing and high crime areas.

User Detail :  

Name : brandi23158, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black and white, Age : 20, City : middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : dietary aide/ student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Subrina
    Participant
    In my point of view i think that all white people think that they are better than everyone and since they are considered a minority well they are all from the ghetto.

User Detail :  

Name : Subrina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    Why people think that all Blacks are in the ghetto because of the media. Anytime you see Black people in movies or on TV they are in the ghetto. When you listen to 'Black' music all they talk about is 'ghetto life.' If you don't want white people to think that all Black people live in the ghetto, give them something else to go by.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : Stone Mountain, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

dan31679
    Participant
    simply because the overwhelming number of blacks across the country who live in areas that can be classified as a ghetto

User Detail :  

Name : dan31679, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.