Nosy Southern Christians

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Mara
    Participant
    When I moved to Georgia I was shocked at the presumption of my co-workers and neighbors questioning me about my religion. Why are Southern Christians so nosy and why won't they take a polite 'I'm sorry but I don't discuss religion' seriously? I also noticed a definite chill in their attitudes after revealing that I wasn't interested in going to their church.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Welcome to the wild world of Christian Fundamentalism. Have you also noticed they assume you're married, even if you're not, and if/when they find out you're not, assume there's something 'wrong' with you? The short answer is these people are every bit as bigoted and intolerant as ultra-left Liberals when it comes to someone who doesn't think EXACTLY LIKE THEM.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shevronyouna
    Participant
    Some people do not believe that others do not attend church or worship THEIR father. Southern Christians heavily believe in church, and God. And it's an insult if you tell someone in the South that you don't want to go to church with them. It makes it seem as though you dislike them and that if you can't attend church with them, that they are not good enough for you to socialize with.

User Detail :  

Name : Shevronyouna, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Cleveland, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Bradford
    Participant
    Listen to yourself. Who is being intolerant. I happen to be one of those Southern Christians you are so sure you know all about. You shouldn't judge any group of people from a couple of experiences you have had with certain people who do not speak for the whole group. The fact is, would you be so defensive if someone asked you to go out to eat, or go bowling, or just go anywhere? And if you told them no, would they be 'intolerant and ultra-left Liberal' if they asked you again. Just to set the record straight. I don't think bad about any of you at all. The way you live your life is your business, and I don't look down on anyone who doesn't live their life like I do as a Christian, because no one is perfect. I'm sorry someone gave you the wrong impression about Southern Christians, but I know I can speak for all the Christians that I know and they surely do not feel the way that you have portrayed us to feel.

User Detail :  

Name : Bradford, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, City : Tupelo, State : MS Country : United States, 

Laurie
    Participant
    From what I've read (second hand), it is considered a perfectly polite question in the South to ask a new acquaintaince 'What church do you go to?' Just like up North, it is considered perfectly polite to ask, 'What do you do for work?' Good luck, it sounds awkward to say the least.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Aimee
    Participant
    The Bible tells us we should witness to people and tell others about Jesus in a gentle way. I don't think they should continue to harp on you or judge you about going to church or having a relationship with God. I think Christians just want others to have the joy they have in loving the Lord. I have lived both ways in my life and I am definitely a happier person by accepting Jesus as my savior.

User Detail :  

Name : Aimee, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 52, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : secretary, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Rob
    Christians believe that when a person dies he goes to either Heaven or Hell. Christians don't want anyone to go to Hell so they are distressed when people don't want to talk about religious matters. John 14:6

User Detail :  

Name : Rob, Gender : M, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    If "Southern" and "Fundamentalist" are equivalent terms in YOUR mind, I'm very sorry for you. Fact is some of the most intolerant, anti-Semitic, homophobic Christians I've ever met reside right here in the good ole' Midwest.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KrisB.
    Welcome to the South! I have grown up all over the world, but I have lived in the South the longest. I agree that there are some extreme Southern Christians who will push their religious views on you and want to convert you to their church. It happens all the time and will continue to happen. I work with the public as a server, and I have had so many people try to get me to come to their church to be "saved." I have my own religious beliefs and I understand what you mean when there is a chill in their attitude if you turn them down. I have experienced this many times when I reveal I am Catholic.

User Detail :  

Name : KrisB., Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, City : Knoxville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    My sister was an elementary school teacher whose first job was in South Carolina. She experienced the same kind of culture shock that you did. What is acceptable to ask about in the South is not the same as what is acceptable to ask about in the North or the West or in other countries. Religion-- particularly Christianity-- plays a very big role in the lives of most people in the South-- that's why it's part of the Bible belt. Asking you about your religion is part of being polite and welcoming. Someone who won't discuss their religion, therefore, is seen as rude or standoffish and may be given the Southern version of the cold shoulder. They're not trying to be rude or nosy: that's just what's normal for them because of how they were raised.

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ShirleyC.
    Participant
    I THINK MOST CHRIISTIANS ARE SO FULL OF GOD THAT THEY DON'T THINK HOW FORCEFUL THEY ARE SOMETIMES. SOMETIMES I THINK THAT IT IS JUST SOUTHERN CHRISTIANITY PLAN AND SIMPLE NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS. JUST LIKE SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY.

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyC., City : Sunflower, State : MS Country : United States, 

ChrisD
    If you think they are cold when you tell them you don't want to discuss your religion or you don't want to attend church with them, try discussing your religion if you are Wiccan. Mind you, not everyone in the South is so bigoted, but it is amazing to me how many assume you are too until they find out otherwise. This has been my experience in Mississippi, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, and West Virginia. (I've moved a lot in my past.)

User Detail :  

Name : ChrisD, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Production Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    If a God would send you to hell for not worshiping HIm or Her, then He or She is no God, and certainly not one worth worship. Itsuwari No Tengoku

User Detail :  

Name : ItsuwariNo Tengoku, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Allyn, State : WA Country : United States, 

emoryw
    Participant
    Boy, do I agree with Ann in KC. If you don't agree with a die-hard baptist and all their beliefs then they are assured you are going to die and go to hell. What about people who think Jesus was just a myth, probably a real person, but a young minister who got his ass in trouble. I've heard that some say he didn't die on the cross but was rescued, taken to a monastery and eventually strangled to death.

User Detail :  

Name : emoryw, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.