No respect for overweight people?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant
    I recently lost 20 pounds. I'll tell you why I generally avoid overweight women as dating partners. It's not just because I find them less attractive. For me, being overweight was part of a lifestyle. There was a direct link between how I ate and how I felt, and there's often a viscious cycle between looking bad and low self-esteem as well. As a healthy man, I do not want to be with a woman who isn't healthy or possibly has a ton of self-esteem issues. It's crazy that women blame Paris Hilton and men for not accepting them. Go to the doctor, have him do a body fat analysis to see if you fall within normal range (if you're normal, you shouldn't worry about Paris, be yourself!) and if you're too heavy, go to the gym and eat better. Take action for your own life and stop blaming genetics.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Springville, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nathan20138
    Participant
    I don't think it's the media. Like which came first? The chicken or the egg? Attraction isn't something that can be analyzed easily. People respond to things how they do. Paris Hilton has just as much right to look like she does as you do.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20138, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 40, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

omphale
    Participant
    In my experience, the response I get from people has much more to do with my own feelings about myself and my self-presentation than my weight. When I feel sexy and good about myself, whether I'm Twiggy or Zaftig makes no difference; I'm sexy. And the opposite is also true: I can be super-model skinny and no one even looks at me if I'm depressed or feeling bad about myself. So you might want to check your self-image, not just your scale. Loving yourself is definitely the key to attracting love from the outside.

User Detail :  

Name : omphale, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : writer, musician, mother, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
    I would argue that people who become overweight ARE lazy and don't take care of themselves. The quality of their work may not suffer, and they may in every other respect be functional members of society, but being overweight has a direct correlation to an inactive lifestyle and unhealthy diet (save extremely rare 'glandular' or 'metabolism' issues). Any employer conciously or subconciously is going to hire/reward/respect healthier people. However, our culture has taken the ideal to the extreme. We now find impossibly thin women disgracing the covers of every magazine under the sun. The anorexic-thin model is used to sell everything from cars to software to vacations. This extreme is unacceptable because it makes people strive and respect something that is simply unobtainable. But I also believe being overweight is equally disgusting. Healthy people look healthy and will be rewarded socially for it. Natural selection?

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Davy J.
    Participant
    I am sorry that this disrespect has happened to you. Many men (and women, too, I bet) see a weight problem as an indicator that something else more serious is going on in your life, such as depression, poor self-image, etc. For that reason we are leery about getting close to you, same as you might steer clear of a man who needs to comb his hair (and for this you'd have taken a pass on Einstein).

User Detail :  

Name : Davy J., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Evanston, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : university teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Covergirl
    Seems to me it's just what people prefer. I mean I am 125 and have been all my life. But I know what I like. I don't like big men. All I can think about is how unhealthy they look and it has nothing to do with the media, it's just who I'm attracted to. Not to sound rude, but I'd date a fat girl to make her feel good but would never date a fat guy. Not saying I couldn't fall in love with either, but it just wouldn't be my first option. When I think of fat I think of sweat, heavy breathing, slow walking, etc. Besides that, I have big friends and they always complain of people not wanting to date them, but yet they go for gorgeous, slim people rather than one of equal size. What's up with that? Sounds weird that they want me to date a big person, but they won't.

User Detail :  

Name : Covergirl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Camille T.
    Participant
    I was overweight for three years, then lost the weight. Maybe it may have something to do with your attitude when you are heavier. For example, when I was a normal weight, I was outgoing, athletic, opinionated and funny. When I gained weight, I was reluctant to go to clubs with friends and co-workers. When I went out to eat with friends, I couldn't enjoy it because I was always dieting. I was very self -conscious when I gained weight. I used to start conversations with everyone, but at my heavier weight, I stopped doing that. Now that I lost the weight, I am friendly and outgoing again.

User Detail :  

Name : Camille T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Juno
    Participant
    I'm guessing you probably resemble the nudes in Titian's paintings (body-wise, anyway), or those old statues of Greek goddesses when you're a little bit heavier. Standards of beauty change from society to society and era to era. This societally agreed standard is reached haphazardly and is a topic of fierce debate in sociology; however, it is generally agreed that media (television, pictures, paintings, engravings, statues) serves merely to propagate and enforce this standard, rather than create it.

User Detail :  

Name : Juno, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Orthodox Christian, Age : 21, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kelly
    Participant
    have you never seen any rennaissance art? believe me, skinny was not in back in the day. botticelli's painting of venus shows the goddess of love, THE ideal woman, and i can assure you that nowadays she'd be considered pudgy.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.