No diamond-studded African women?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Doris-K
    Participant
    Why don't women in Africa wear diamonds like people outside Africa? Most diamonds come from mines in Africa.

User Detail :  

Name : Doris-K, Gender : F, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ann
    Participant
    Ummm.... Because they can't afford them? I mean, when you're being paid 32 cents an hour to mine the damned things, you're not really in a position to buy any.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 39, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KMW
    Participant
    Probably beacause most of the diamond miners are enslaved. Many diamond miners are also young children. Most people outside of Africa don't know this either. I don't wear diamonds because of this (plus I can't afford them) and I try to tell others not to wear diamonds for the same reasons.

User Detail :  

Name : KMW, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

John S.
    Participant
    To most Africans, diamonds are only worth as much as we dumb Westerners are willing to pay for them. A diamond's value comes from its regard as a thing of beauty and from its rarity. Africans mine diamonds so that they can feed their families, or in the case of blood diamonds, to keep themselves alive. I would imagine that many wealthy Africans do wear diamonds, but average Africans would almost certainly sell any diamonds that come into their possession.

User Detail :  

Name : John S., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : 75% white, 25% Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Lake Charles, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Sophisticated Lady
    Participant
    I think this depends on what area of Africa this question pertains to. The natives get more for diamonds by selling them and using them as an export. Also consider that they are worth much more over here than there. Many of these mine-towns/villages are in dire poverty so getting money for food and necessities is far more important than jewelry...especially if they aren't worth that much in their currency. Whether this holds true now or not I'm not sure but diamond mines have been used as a form of slave labor. The other possible answer to your question is simply this: our culture is not their culture. Diamonds may not be a thing of 'wow' to some Africans as it is to us Westerners.

User Detail :  

Name : Sophisticated Lady, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 22, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Administration & Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

DaneR
    Participant
    I'm not saying you're wrong but do you have any proof of this. That's a pretty serious accusation. I won't dispute that they don't get paid well but do you have any proof they are actually slaves being paid nothing? Please show me if you have some.

User Detail :  

Name : DaneR, Age : 19, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.