No black hockey or punk music fans?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

JAGoe
    As a German who has never been to the United States, I have no idea what black kids like or dislike, or why they do so. But for classical music I can tell you one thing: most people think it's complicated. Complicated things are not much fun. You have to get accustomed to classical music in some early part of your life. If not, you'll hardly ever develop a taste for it when you're older. In general, most people only like what they know and reject things they haven't heard of or experienced before. It's a miracle that anybody ever comes to know and like strange/foreign thing/music/customs.

User Detail :  

Name : JAGoe, Gender : M, Race : European, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : Berlin, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : computers, 

Dominique
    Participant
    Why would white males need so much glorifying? People of color tend to notice (more so than whites) that white people are seen in every aspect of life. It is hard to deny that white Americans control America, and have a drastic influence in the world at large. Minorities seem to realize this and are less likely to 'idolize' white pop culture because it surrounds them all the time, and they think that perhaps it's time to see more people who look like them.

Seeing as how people of color tend to be under-represented in sports like hockey and racecar driving, this could very well harm recruitment of minority fans. Sometimes stereotypes as 'white sports' and 'black sports' tear us further apart. We need to realize that people (regardless of color) have a variety of personalities, likes and dislikes. There is no such thing as a 'one-race sport.' I know plenty of people who are into hockey; most of them are black.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Melissa
    Participant
    You shouldn't make assumptions. When I was little I found a radio station that played a song called blinded by the light, that was one of my favorite songs. The beegees were my fave in fifth grade. Eight grade I fell in love with Duran Duran. I have seen Brian Adams, Grateful Dead, Duran Duran and gone to Lollapollza live concerts just to name a few. Guess what? I'm black!! My neice has a crush on the lead singer of Good Charlotte. The whole problem is everyone is so curious about each that they are too ignorant to ask instead of making assumptions. I know easier said than done! As far as hockey goes I have no clue! In this area I know some black guys that watch hockey. My brother has a PS2 hockey game. Not everyone thinks this way of course. I have gone to clubs started singing along to a Linkin Park song and had Black people stare at me like I was crazy. By the way there is nothing wrong with interracial dating either! It's never going to change.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 35, City : king of prussia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jane
    That is not the case at all. My musical tastes were cultivated as a child in everything from opera, to Barbra Streisand to rap and nu-metal. I personally happen to think that George Michael is the BEST male singer ever and have way more pictures and cds of him than of any Black artist. Also, soccer is my favorite sport, thanks in part to Fabien Barthez and David Beckham. Hockey I don't like because it's too violent and I can never understand why it's OK to bash some guys' brains in while standing on ice skates. You should take a trip to LA or California in general. You'll meet all sorts of Black kids living outside the 'norm'; skateboarders, BMXers, punk-head (ever hear of Fishbone; the all-Black punk band?) I think you may not believe these Black people exist because of the stereotypes portrayed on television and in movies or by what you see around you but it's not like that everywhere or with all Black people!

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Legal Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Paul S.
    Participant
    I was listening to The Clash before you were born. Green Day, Good Charlotte, etc ... are NOT punk. They are MTV wankers who are afraid to say anything really punk for fear of getting 'Dixie Chicked' and losing their coveted spot on freaking TRL. NoFX are the closet thing to punk today. While I'm of the opinion that hockey sucks maximum *ss, my brother loves it and plays on an amateur league team. There are also Black people who like country and classical music. Albeit, there has always been a subtext of racism inherent in country music. FYI ... Black people invented rock music. If you don't believe me ask Jimi Page or Keith Richards ... I would say Joe Strummer, but he's no longer with us.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul S., City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, 

samantha
    i understand what your saying but i myself listen to punk, rock, metal and things of such nature. Then again, i listen to every single type of music (almost). Overall, almost every one in my school likes some type of punk or rock band or artist.Thanks to bands such as Limp Biskit, Linken Park, Simple Plan and Good Charlotte evryone is listening to punk and rock. And since i live in toronto everyone watches Hockey. so i guess i'm on a totally different stance.

User Detail :  

Name : samantha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 13, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

j-fleming21272
    Participant
    in the words of jesse jackson's PUSH organization's sports director, 'NASCAR is a good-old-boy's white cracker sport.'. this official remark didn't prevent PUSH from extorting a quarter of a million dollars from NASCAR in exchange for not filing a nuisance suit and publicly portrayals of the sport and it's fans as racist.

User Detail :  

Name : j-fleming21272, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bruce
    Great answers were given above and another reason is the fact that in the past, blacks were excluded from white activities therefore many blacks now label the variety of activities that whites enjoy as being 'white' as a way of defining the meaning of what it means to be black or white. This has a great affect on a young black persons acceptance withing his community.

User Detail :  

Name : Bruce, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Sterling, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

White-Guy
    Participant
    Your statement about white women tanning to become darker is categorically correct but it also infers that they tan to become closer to black skin. That belief is wrong since white women do not become black but rather bronze when they tan. Hence, white women do not wish to become black while they tan. Even if white people could tan their skin to that of the black race, it is my belief the vast majority would stop short of doing such.

User Detail :  

Name : White-Guy, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, 

Bobby S.
    Participant
    Michelle, I just wanted to send a note that reading your response put a smile on my face. I teach in high school and continually work with students to truly examine questions and respond with intelligence. I always try to say thank you and show appreciation when someone does something good. You response was analytical, considerate, and thorough. Thank you.

User Detail :  

Name : Bobby S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : LaCrosse, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.