Muslims, polygamy and immigration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

CP19382
    Participant
    What happens when a Muslim man (or other group that permits polygamy) with more than one wife wishes to immigrate to a country like Canada or the United States, where polygamy is illegal? Is he automatically turned down? Is he allowed to bring only wife No. 1 with him?

User Detail :  

Name : CP19382, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, 

ACC24055
    Participant
    Neither my wife nor I are Muslims, but when she immigrated here, she, just like all others who come here on fiancee visas, had to sign a document stating she was not 'a drug dealer or smuggler, a prostitute, a war criminal in hiding, or planning to practice polygamy.' It was pretty amazing to me that the government and society can be so hostile to polygamists that they would group them together with criminals who commit atrocities. But this incident got me curious enough to look into the subject further, because some American Indian groups like the Navajo and Iroquois still practice polygamy at times. Like other polygamous groups in the United States such as Pagans, Hare Krishnas, Tibetan and Thai Buddhists and some Christian fundamentalists and Orthodox Jews, Muslim polygamists must keep the practice very well-hidden out of fear of the law or intolerant employers and landlords. Additional wives often must pretend to be sisters-in-law, cousins or nannies. To get around that restriction in U.S. immigration law, additional wives will often start an import/export business, which will get them a visa to come here.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24055, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, 

Laura
    Orthodox Jews do not practice polygamy; I don't know about the other groups.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Missus_I
    Participant
    Isn't there any sort of Muslim laws? I mean, I think there shd be a set of different laws for Muslims, as we practice totally different stuff, like polygamy. If the man really would want to recognise his rightful wives as his wives anywhere in this world, perhaps he won't move to places that won't allow polygamy.

User Detail :  

Name : Missus_I, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 18, City : Singapore, State : WY Country : Singapore, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ariann23771
    Participant
    It is illegal for ANY person to practice polygamy in this country. The reason it was on the list of things an immigrant has to state that they won't do is because it is illegal, just like those other things. It doesn't sound like that's a statement of how illegal it is or not. Orthodox Jews don't practice polygamy - I don't know where you got that one. The most famous polygamists in this country seem to be Mormons (and their main church has already stated that they shouldn't practice polygamy in accordance with U.S. law).

User Detail :  

Name : Ariann23771, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.