Muslims and multiple wives?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Donna S.
    Participant
    I know the Imam at a large Islamic center. He believes he can have up to four wives. Why would we allow this practice in America?

User Detail :  

Name : Donna S., Gender : F, Age : 49, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A-Urbonas22157
    Participant
    In their own country, the Imam can have four wives according to Islamic law. (SOB in Muslim culture is to call someone the fifth child of the fifth wife.) Now, if same-sex marriage is legalized in Canada or the USA with all permutations and combinations going,the Imam and anyone can have 4x 4 wives if they can afford it.

User Detail :  

Name : A-Urbonas22157, Gender : M, Age : 52, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Ali
    Participant
    The concept of multiple wives in Islam needs an unbiased pondering. In the time when Islam was in formation, the pagan arabs used to kill men, harass their widows. No social system was there to take care of orphans and this led to a great chaos. Under these circumstance, those muslims were allowed to marry more than one woman to provide secutiry to those widows, to provide them food and shelter to their kids. Quran clearly states that marry for the sake of Allah, i.e. to become a guardian of an otherwise helpless woman. You can always find such verses in Quran. There is a strict condition that the intention behind second marriage should solely be the attainment of pleasure of God by helping and protecting the oppressed women and their children. And this was the practice of those people as well. Specially if you look at the life of Prophet Muhammad, you will see that all his wives were old widows and poor ladies. If the sexual pleasures were the intentions, then he would had married in young age while history tells that he had one wife from the age of 25 to 50 (the climax of one's energies). His latter wives were mostly old widows with whom no one else wanted to marry. Now, if someone tries to pracitce this thing under the srtict Islamic conditions, then I assure you very few self-less people will care to marry someone to provide her shelter and take her full responsibilities. So please try to understand a thing in its proper context and then you will understand the underlying philosophy. This thing is better than having one legal wife and having sexual relationships with many girl friends. I hope I cleared your question. I agree with you in this matter, however, that this thing is mis-used by many, but it is their fault, not the problem with Islam.

User Detail :  

Name : Ali, Gender : M, Age : 26, City : Halifax, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Gonzo
    Participant
    The Imam is correct but so are you. In Islam, a man may have up to four wives, as long as he is able to support all four equally (this often means seperate houses, or houses with seperate living areas for each wife, etc). HOWEVER, in the US, we are not a nation under Sharia (or Islamic law) and our laws require that only one wife may be had. Now when dignitaries from Muslim nations come ove rwith all their wives, there is some political issues that are dealt with, but in general, it is only a single spouse under the law.

User Detail :  

Name : Gonzo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Anglo-Hispanic, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 33, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lani
    Participant
    We allowed it for Mormons up until a few years ago in Utah. It's a cultural thing, something that shoulden't be forced on anyone but probably should be respected if all parties are okay with it. As to reasons why, America is so expensive, having 5 adults living in one house allows for more resources. In addition to that, statistics show that the more parents a child has, the better it turns out. So, this family unit is much better for children than the one parent families that this country does allow.

User Detail :  

Name : Lani, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ann
    Participant
    According to the Quran, a man may take up to four wives if he can properly provide for all of them. Polygamy is illegal in the U.S., and Muslims living in the U.S. don't openly practice it. In fact, Muslims living in Muslim countries generally don't practice it a whole lot, either, owing to that 'properly provide for them' stipulation.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 39, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Exton
    Participant
    We wouldn't. Regardless of this gentleman's beliefs, it is still against the law to have multiple wives. The thing about that particular law, though, is that it is not often enforced; in fact, polygamy happens so little in America that I would imagine that law enforcers do not go out of their way to look for it. If this man has more than one wife, I suppose you could contact the authorities. That would be spiteful and mean-spirited in this case, though, because even if this man is punished by the law, his beliefs will not change. And he has every right to his beliefs.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Naeem
    Participant
    In theory there are two views on this, based on the differing interpretation of some of the relevant verses in the Quran: 1. Yes he can have 4 wives, under very limiting conditions (see more below) 2. No he cant. In some Muslim countries, polygamy is banned. In practice, because of the very limiting conditions placed on men who do choose polygamy, the practice is extremely limited.

User Detail :  

Name : Naeem, Gender : M, Religion : Muslim, Age : 35, City : Markham, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jill22155
    Participant
    Well, you have polygamous Mormons, don't you? I don't agree with polygamy or polyandry and know it's illegal, but I guess when he says wives he means the first one is married legally and the rest not? It's illegal in the United Kingdom as well, although I know some people have more than one 'wife'. Islam allows for this as long as the man can support all the wives equally - financially AND emotionally. I'm not sure how many men could manage that!

User Detail :  

Name : Jill22155, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gonzo
    Participant
    In the United States, only one spouse is permitted under the law. However, in Islam, a man is allowed to have up to 4 wives, providing he can support all equally - this includes 4 homes, etc). So, if the Imam moves to an Islamic country, he can have 4 wives legally. Here in the States, we would only recognize the first marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Gonzo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Anglo-Hispanic, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 33, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A–Schurman19733
    Participant
    We don't allow that in the United States. My ex brother-in-law wanted to have three strict Christian wives. It has nothing to do with Muslims; there are many fundamentalists who try to practice polygamy.

User Detail :  

Name : A--Schurman19733, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Ammon, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

mike
    Participant
    Well even if you may not agree with their system of culture, you would have to think that cathlics cant eat pork. Their beliefs are to them selves. I don't see a problem with them not eating pork. That is a common to you as a nomeat lover, but still you say nothing of that belief of their culture therefor you are doing what i like to call, culture racism. I think that if they are not alowed to have mutiple wives, then you may not eat pork.

User Detail :  

Name : mike, City : fargo, State : ND Country : United States, 

NadyaB
    Participant
    The Qur'an says men can have up to four wives, but they must be treated equally. Now why would God say this to Mohammed? At the time men could have as many wives as they could afford, and generally did not treat them as anything other than chattel. Islam requires that the wives be treated equally and given a share of the man's estate. Now, most Muslim males in the Middle East, North Africa, and Indonesia won't have more than one wife. Generally those who do have more than one wife are rich oil shaykhs.

User Detail :  

Name : NadyaB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Bipolar disorder, Race : Swexican, Religion : Gnostic, Age : 22, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.