Music therapy OK?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kate
    Is music therapy widely regarded as a socially acceptable and encouraged practice, and if so, in which religions or cultures?

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 20, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mira S.
    Participant
    I'm currently undergoing art therapy. I love it. I do everything from pottery, to collaging, to painting to writing. I wouldn't be surprised if she had me sing a few octaves. I find it tremendously helpful;, and better than any conventional modality of therapy I have ever tried. Also a friend of mine is a Drama Therapist and she does a lot of drama workshops for children. I highly encourage it. It'd be rewarding and I think it's higly respected. At least it is here in Canada.

User Detail :  

Name : Mira S., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 31, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : artist/yoga tecaher, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

KCE
    I was comatose for 2.5 months a couple years ago. My doctors told my parents and my (then) fiance' to bring in my favorite music to help bring me out of it and calm me (I was having seizure-like symptoms while I was under). They brought it in and played it constantly. It calmed me and helped me come around without being too shocked. While this isn't formally music therapy (i.e. administered by a therapist), it falls in the catagory. As far as where it is accepted, here in the States it's considered a form of alternative medicine. Some insurance agencies cover it in part if it is underwritten by a physician. I'm not sure about liscensing (sp?). However, there are college degrees in music therapy at some universities. I also judge local science fairs. One of the displays at a recent one concerned comparing alternative therapies for pediatric cancer cases in Florida. A vast majority of the patients surveyed (I've forgotten the number) used music therapy in addition to their conventional treatments (chemo, radiation, et al). FWIW, music therapy also figures in prodominantly in biofeedback which helps identify core emotional states in psychotherapy programs. K.

User Detail :  

Name : KCE, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.