Modesty and male gynecologists

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Greg-M
    Participant
    Why would normally modest women hire male doctors to examine their breasts, genitals and anus with fingers and tools? Do you find it embarrassing or demeaning? Why not insist on a female examiner? Do your husbands and lovers object to this type of intimacy?

User Detail :  

Name : Greg-M, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Married, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Quaker, Age : 48, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    What is so intimate about being probed during a medical examination?

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Arlington, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Danielle Koukos
    Participant
    I think you are associating a male gynecologist examining a woman with some kind of sexuality. If you want to think of it that way, why would a normally straight woman go to a female doctor? The fact is there is absolutely nothing sexual in a gynecological exam. I choose a doctor based on their knowledge and experience. My gynecologist delivered my aunt's children, and she said he was very good. So, I went to him. I felt comfortable because he was very professional. I'm sure there are doctors out there, male and female, who may think something sexual during an exam, but I believe that stat would be about one in a million. The gynecologist's office is not full of women who look like Pamela Anderson. Many times people so to the gynecologist because they are having a problem - like a sexually transmitted disease or something. I have to believe that, knowing the types of things a gynecologist must see in a day, there isn't a whole lot of sexual thought going on in the office.

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle Koukos, Gender : F, Race : X, Age : 24, City : Lakehurst, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jacqueline-C20990
    Participant
    I have a male gynecologist, and it has never been a problem for me. When I was younger I went to a female gynecologist because I thought it would be embarrassing to have a man examine me. Then I moved to a different area and had to switch doctors. A friend recommended her gynecologist, who was male. I went in for an exam, and it was no different than going to a female doctor. An exam is not a sexually intimate situation; it is an examination of the physical body. Doctors are professional people. My husband has not expressed an opinion one way or the other about the gender of my gynecologist.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqueline-C20990, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kat26789
    Participant
    With regard to the time spent 'in the stirrups' , please be assured there's NOTHING exciting, stimulating, or fun about it. I regard my body in many ways: and one of them is as a tool or piece of equipment that needs tuning/check ups, just as my car would. So it's really not more intimate than getting the oil changed, if you're working with a provider who's professional, proficient, kind, and conscientious. I've seen both female & male gyn docs, I find there's no gender linked line between those that are careful and kind and those that aren't. My lover doesn't care whether I see a man or a woman, he just wnats me to be happy and healthy, and what I choose to do with my body is MY business anyway. If you honestly take issue with your spouse/lover/SO being examined by someone of the opposite sex, it sounds like you yourself are insecure in your relationship.

User Detail :  

Name : Kat26789, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 29, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : webmaster, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SR28428
    Participant
    I wonder if I am just paranoid or imagining things, but I feel like I've noticed a distinct difference between male and female gynecologists. It seemed to me that female gynecologists knew how the examination felt to me and took more care to make sure I was comfortable. The male ones were very efficient and brisk, and the examinations were physically painful. One of the male gynos gave me a creepy smile afterward. Then there was this incident -not gynecology-related: I'd been having back pain from a car accident. The male doctor who examined me cut the examination short and told me about his unhappy marriage and asked me to meet him at a bar sometime. I was 18. Now I generally try to always see female doctors. I have nothing against male doctors and know there are a lot of good ones out there; I just don't feel too comfortable with them anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28428, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

CP19349
    Participant
    I would never have a gynecological exam done by a male doctor. It is uncomfortable and embarrassing enough with a female doctor. I would rather go without the exam than go to a male doctor. I don't know what my husband would say if I went to a male gynecologist, but I would understand if he would object, because I wouldn't particularly want him to have his private parts examined by a woman, either.

User Detail :  

Name : CP19349, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : university student, 

Kristan
    Participant
    When (or if) your wife had (or has) children - if you were (or would be) present in the operating room, would you be in a sexual state of mind while she is in labor? I hope there are some men in the world who can put business/professionalism ahead of their gonads. I have to also object to physical intimacy having anything to do with someone's hands examining me. I wonder what your reaction would be if your wife were raped - would you consider that physical intimacy, too?

User Detail :  

Name : Kristan, Gender : F, City : Wharton, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Nicky
    Participant
    There are some male doctors that sexually abuse their patients, but I hope they're a rare breed. I prefer going to a female doctor, cause they know what it's like being in those stirrups, and hopefully are more compassionate. They also know how sensitive female breasts are. I always think of 'in the old days' when women were told by male ob docs that having a baby wouldn't hurt, and PMS and menopause weren't physical. 'It's all in your head honey.' I have heard that med students are still being taught that women's complaints and ailments are not to be taken seriously, whereas men's are. I prefer a woman doctor all the way around. I chose a woman when I can.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Jeff
    Participant
    I used to be ashamed to admit that I rejected my wife's decision to see a male gyno, until one time when I went in to the exam room with her for her monthly check when she was pregnant. After he was done fingering her he lifted up the paper that was covering her and proceeded to pat her on the butt and say 'good job'. I went insane. Is this normal? It made me so angry that I refused to go to any more appointments even though this was supposed to be a special time in my life -- the birth of my first child. Her and I are no longer married but I have no quams about telling any girls in future relationships about my feelings. Women just don't seem to understand the male psyche. We thrive and live for the physical attraction to woman. Period. In my view, many women are gulable and will believe that just because this guy is 'professional' or 'nice' that he is not thinking sexual thoughts while the woman is laying there with her legs spread wide open and his fingers feeling the warmth of her. Another invalid argument that women have is this - 'Do you think he likes doing that all day long? Could you imagine what he see's sometimes?' And the MALE answer to that is YES he likes seeing it. PERIOD!! And when he see's something that he doesn't like, he doesn't like it. That simple. He then moves on and eventually he will see something that he likes. It's called OMNIPOTENCE! Man, you women will believe anything!! It's no wonder we men can get away with so much.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, 

Diana
    Participant
    I would never so much as entertain the thought of going to a male gynecologist. My boyfriend doesn't seem to mind; he prefers quality and experience. I wish he were more protective over who looks at me, however, but that's not the point. Now, not gynecology-related; my mother never bothered protecting me from guys, and although I was never truly raped, every man I was in contact with was overly sexual and my mother never bothered covering me up when I was younger, and especially in the bathtub. Needless to say my personal beliefs are that all male gynecologists are sick perverts who need to be taken out and shot. I would rather die than see a male whom is going to see my parts. I strongly believe there is truly only one reason males get into gynecology, and that's not for medicine. Yes, it is a phobia of mine. I want to be far harsher than I am, however I don't feel like being flamed for my opinions more than is already going to happen.

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 19, City : Glen Ellyn, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    As a Christian woman who believes in the sacredness of sex in marriage and that God intends for the husband of a woman to be the only man to see and touch her private parts and for the wife of a man to be the only woman to see and touch his private parts, I am very disturbed about our society has accepted that that it is different in medical settings. It is not appropriate for any man to see and touch private parts of women he is not married to. There is no evidence in the bible that God allows men (including doctors) to touch and see private parts of women to whom they are not married to. 1 Corinthians 7:1 makes it clear that a man should not touch the private parts of a woman who is not his wife. I suggest you all check out this article, Are Male Gynecologists Biblical?

User Detail :  

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.