Middle Easterners: Funny Way To Give Me My Change

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JimS.
    Participant
    I've noticed that cashiers of Middle Eastern ethnicity won't touch your hand when they give you your change. They crease the bills, place the coins in the crease and then hand you your change. I see this in numerous stores and only the (seemingly) Middle Eastern clerks do it. It seems like they do not like to touch me. I am not the only person who's noticed this. Anyone who I mention it to says, "Yes. Me, too!" What's going on?

User Detail :  

Name : JimS., City : Wheeling, State : IL Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    In Middle Eastern culture, physical contact is reserved for friends and family, especially between members of the opposite gender. They're not trying to offend you, it's a cultural thing. BadKarma!

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AnotherPerspective
    Participant
    I think it is simply because of all the germs they can come in contact with everyday. I really don't think anyone is trying to be rude, just more safe than anything!

User Detail :  

Name : AnotherPerspective, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    ...well, if they're that afraid to touch my hand, perhaps they don't need to touch my money, either, and I'll take my business elsewhere.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brittany
    Participant
    Wow. Do you really want a cashier or a person you do not know touching your hand? I could see if he/she were putting the money on the counter but at least it is placed in your hand...sometimes what you think maybe a ethnicity thing is a custom thing. You got your change right? Well then...your work there is done.

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany, Gender : Female, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.