Making Movies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

White-Male24440
    Participant
    Why does it seem the Entertainment Industry has little interest in using closed captions for movies and television for the 30 million hearing-impaired, yet wants to make movies more enjoyable for the hearing public? There are non-intrusive ways to provide close captions (and descriptive captions for the visually impaired) for a film so it will not interfere with the hearing public.
    Original Code D30. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : White-Male24440, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Apopka, State : FL Country : United States, 

allen
    Participant
    hi.how are you? do you sometimes feel terribly lonely in a croud of similars? write and i will too!!!!!!!

User Detail :  

Name : allen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 41, City : apopka, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    I wish I knew the answer to that. I'm deaf myself, and it's very frustrating to hear the audience laughing and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I do know, though, that the movie theatres themselves are very, very resistant to the idea. I know that there's a large deaf community in the Tampa area, and my friends there tell me that despite repeated requests, the theatres continue to refuse to caption the movies for the deaf. The main excuse they use is: MONEY. It costs money to set those things up, but to me, that's not a good enough excuse.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Andy
    Participant
    I am so with you on this. I am hard-of-hearing enough to be really grateful for captioning on television. Most people think of it as irrelevant or annoying (or don't even know it's on their own television), but I find it extremely helpful and tend not to watch uncaptioned programming when captioning is available elsewhere on the dial. Why CAN'T movies be captioned? The technological hurdles don't seem that big. Assistive listening devices are often available in theaters, but for the many people like me with word discrimination problems they don't solve the problem. Thus in movies, when the sound is a voice-over or for some other reason you can't see the person's mouth, what they're saying remains a mystery. (Just like real life!) For this I'm paying ten bucks?

User Detail :  

Name : Andy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : Hard of hearing, AIDS, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 46, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Retired lawyer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.