Lip-smackin’ good?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Alma-J31447
    Participant
    Why is it that some people cannot or will not chew with their mouths closed? And what is so attractive about smacking your lips as loud as possible when you eat? What ever happened to manners?

User Detail :  

Name : Alma-J31447, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 50, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : govt. employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Abby
    Participant
    My brother has a malformed jaw and apparently cannot chew with his mouth shut. My husband has bad sinuses and when he's stuffy, he will sometimes chew with an open mouth. My old roommate chewed with her mouth open, but i think it was just because she was gross.

User Detail :  

Name : Abby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29921
    Participant
    It's not much of a mystery: some people are slobs.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29921, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamie
    I think you're asking a rhetorical question, here. But I agree with your point. I don't enjoy seeing the contents of people's mouths when they're eating.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Torbay, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

D-Poet31803
    Participant
    I can only say that your experiences are your own. Maybe you tend to observe these qualities in others because you were brought up a different way than they were, or it could be a number of things: the person chewing with his mouth open has a severe cold and needs to breathe through his/her mouth, even if eating, maybe they don't know they are doing this, maybe they weren't taught this growing up, maybe anything. You must understand people are different. It's nothing to be angry about. We are all special individuals, and nothing for one person can go for one group of people, men, women, smart, 'not bright', young, old, rich, poor. Everyone is different. I know that I try to do my part, i hold doors open for women, men, children, animals, whatever. I say please, thank you and the ever-so important You're Welcome. I pick up things people drop, I return found materials to their owners, I try to do the best I can. I will not boast about my mannerisms, but If you consider these qualities manners, then there is at least one person who still has them.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Poet31803, Age : 16, City : Anywhere, State : NA Country : Everywhere, 

Terri
    Participant
    That's a good question. It's flippin annoying. I was married to a man who chewed with his mouth open. I could hear him all the way upstairs and across the house. It amazed him to hear me yell 'CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH CLOSED.' He couldn't understand how I could hear him. Disgusting!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Terri, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, 

Nita
    Participant
    Since I was a teenager, smacking has been one of my biggest pet peeves! It's just rude and disgusting! My 8 year old son has more manners than alot of adults I see out eating in public!

User Detail :  

Name : Nita, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Jonesboro, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : legal, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TomO
    Absent a medical or physical impairment,They are the result of negligent parenting. And now Good Grief have you been treated to some of the gross Hamburger and fast/sloppy food commercials

User Detail :  

Name : TomO, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 74, City : Oklahoma City, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rory-Starks
    Participant
    This is something that has bothered me for a long time. I always wonder if people notice the attention they are drawing to themselves by eating with their mouth open and making noise. I think the simple answer is that people are just lazy and inconsiderate. We live in a country of drive-thru dinners and pizza delivery. 'Slupring' is another annoyance I have observed -- like when somebody is eating spaghetti. Slupring spaghetti is cute for five-year-olds, but not adults.

User Detail :  

Name : Rory-Starks, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Bloomington, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

The-Last-Samuri
    Participant
    My father used to chew with his mouth open. We used to kid him about it, saying it sounded like a cow pulling it's foot out of the mud. Dad said that he had a problem breathing through his nose. The sound continued to bother me and I started to not eat with him. After cancer took him away too early, I would have given anything to have back the times that I missed eating with him. I wish I'd have grown up sooner and realized what is more important in life.

User Detail :  

Name : The-Last-Samuri, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Salem, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : technician, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jen B.
    Participant
    I chew with my mouth open becuase I have small nostrils. I can't get enough air without breathing through my mouth, and that includes when I'm chewing. Though, I do try to keep it to a minimum when out in public, I inevitably still have to draw in a big breath here and there to make up for trying to keep my mouth closed.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : unclassified, Age : 31, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

holly
    i was once caught in the chicago airport for over 7 hours, and spent a noticable amount of time in the food court, people-watching. what i gathered there was, regardless of age or race or lack of/wealth in money, about 85%of men chewed with their mouths open. i also remember, as a child, being the one who got in trouble if i told my brother to chew with his mouth closed. hmm. to me, it seems to be a difference in expectations of manners for men and women. boys will be boys, and all that sheer nonsense. i know there are some non-western cultures that do things as eat loudly, burp, and so on to show appreciation for the food they are eating. but generally in western society this seems to be one of those rules of manners and consideration for others that just doesn´t seem to be of concern for many people.

User Detail :  

Name : holly, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : barcelona, State : NA Country : Spain, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

DanielPfalmer
    Participant
    Why does it matter so much? I sometime chew with my mouth open, but usually only at my house of with people that I am not worried about being judgmental. I know some people think it is disgusting, but Americans find so many things distasteful that if was to try to avoid them all I would go crazy. I do have problems with my nose being plugged a lot too. You ask "What ever happened to manners?" I respond "What ever happened to 'Thou shalt not judge'?"

User Detail :  

Name : DanielPfalmer, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Fairbanks, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.