Lesbians unsafe?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Rachel
    Is it true that lesbians don't use protection during sex?

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, City : Swartz Creek, State : MI Country : United States, 

Jean
    Participant
    No, it's not true. We obviously aren't using protection to keep us from getting pregnant, but we've got dental dams available for oral sex to help stop the spread of STDs. Some women also opt to wear latex gloves - sometimes for protection, sometimes for fun. Toys, if they are used, are also kept clean and preferably only used between the same people.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Truly
    Participant
    It completely depends on the person or the couple. Many women are faithful users of female condoms, and many (particularly those in committed relationships) are not so careful.

User Detail :  

Name : Truly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Elizabeth
    Participant
    From my experience, most lesbians do not concern themselves with safe oral sex. HIV has not been predominant among the lesbian population. We get bigger warnings about sharing 'toys,' but I think monogamous women ignore that and others just do what they want.

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 32, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Elizabeth
    Participant
    Typically, lesbians have not been a group to experience a lot of STDs, particularly HIV related, so there is definitely a lax attitude about it among the people I know. I know that safe sex groups have tried to encourage the use of a 'dam' for oral sex, but it's not particularly popular. Toys are the biggest issue of safety, but I think most monogamous couples overlook it because they trust each other.

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 32, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Steph27768
    Participant
    This is untrue. An ordinary condom can be modified for use, and rubber dental dams, even Saran wrap can be used.

User Detail :  

Name : Steph27768, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Chris32187
    Participant
    It is possible for lesbian sex to transmit STDs. But the major transmission path for STD is along the microabrasions that penatrative sex causes. In simpler terms, a penis in anything that needs to stretch will normally cause microscopic abrasions. Microscopic abrasions allow blood out and other body fluids in. Both increase your chances of infection.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32187, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Deist, Age : 28, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : computer guy, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jack
    Protection doesn't necessarily mean condoms. You can use rubber gloves for 'finger sex,' you can use dental dams for oral sex, and you can put condoms on sex toys. Of course, I know very few people, whether gay, straight or lesbian, who use condoms for the kind of sex lesbians usually engage in. But that doesn't mean it's impossible or unheard of.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

mitchell vega
    Participant
    Some lesbians use a dental dam for oral sex and make sure to sterilize sex toys after use, but from what I've heard, the risk of STDs is so low that most don't bother.

User Detail :  

Name : mitchell vega, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 15, City : bellingham, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandy O.
    Participant
    I haven't known one lesbian who has used protection during sex, nor do I know a lesbian who has (knowingly) contracted any sexually transmitted diseases. First, it is rather hard for a woman to transmit a disease to another woman, sexually. Second, herpes and HIV are the only two STDs that women can transmit to each other, because the majority of STDs affect the inside of a woman's body rather than the outside. This means the infection or disease would have had to be internally inserted. Protection for lesbians isn't sold in regular pharmacies; you have to go to a sex shop or order them online. However, plastic shrink wrap is commonly used. I don't know every lesbian in the world, so I can't say that none or all of them use protection. I do know that lesbians have the lowest risk factors, before factoring in how promiscuous any individual woman is.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy O., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : Newton, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Political Science Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Electrasteph
    Participant
    Many do; some don't. Many of the sex acts that lesbians routinely engage in don't involve exchange of bodily fluids, or at least they don't at the same risk level as sex acts that men are involved in. Also, the number of women who are HIV+ or have other STDs is relatively low among lesbians. This means having sex without protection is less risky for lesbians. But it's still not a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

User Detail :  

Name : Electrasteph, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, 

Stuart
    Participant
    There have been 0 known cases of HIV infection through female-female sex. The STDs lesbians are most at risk for are herpes and HPV, which are viral skin diseases.

User Detail :  

Name : Stuart, City : SD, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Fussbucket
    Yes, it is true. Take an AIDS 101 class at the AIDS Resources center. The safe sex part will be an eye opener for you. A condom can easily be converted into a dental damn. Use an un-lubricated, no spermacide type. Cut off the reciever tip, cut one side of the ring and un-roll. If you use saran wrap make sure its NOT 'microwaveable'. Microwaveable has pores and should NOT be used. Cutting up condoms is cheaper.

User Detail :  

Name : Fussbucket, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.