Jewish people and tattoos

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Norma W.
    Participant
    An old friend of mine says that since she is Jewish and has a tattoo, she may not be buried in a Jewish cemetery. Does that include the tattoos given in concentration camps? I never thought to ask, and I have always wanted to know.

User Detail :  

Name : Norma W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 32, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jesse-N30804
    Participant
    I don't claim to be an authority, but I don't think that's true. I say that because I know of several concentration camp survivors who were properly buried in Jewish cemeteries and surely had the usual Nazi tattoo. It is true that Judaism regards tattoos as a mutilation of the body, which is forbidden. Perhaps tattooed people are banned from some cemeteries, but an exception is made for involuntary tattoos like this. I really don't know.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30804, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, 

Michell20535
    Participant
    To Jesse: If Jews do not believe in mutilation of one's body, then why do they get circumcised?

User Detail :  

Name : Michell20535, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Panama City, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    As an atheist, (and to each his (or her) own), you might not have studied biblical background enough to understand the cultural reason for this practice. With everything I've read lately, the procedure is not considered as 'routine' nor even medically recommended nearly as often. (Thank God!) Jim, 36, white male, STRAIGHT, with a four year degree, SUCCESSFUL (and single)!

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, City : Panama City, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ronald V.
    The practice of circumcision was an action to indicate a covenant between Abraham and God. It was an agreement between Abraham and his descendents and their Maker. It was not done for vanity's sake. But it works out medically as well. Men who are circumcized have less infections, and their wives have a much lower incidence of cervical cancer.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald V., Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Al
    Participant
    The Old Testament does indeed have a prohibition against making any "markings" or "cuttings" in one's flesh - which is basically what a tattoo is. However, only an ultra-orthodox rabbi or funeral home would raise any objection. As for the blue markings on one's arm, etc., as made by the Nazis, these are involuntary, not sought or desired by the bearer, and are therefore exempt from this ruling. Please remember that most orthodox and reform rabbis would be happy to help organize a dignified Jewish burial - tattoos or not.

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Larry-Hill
    Participant
    Because circumcision is a commandment of God given first to Abraham in the book of Genesis, 17:10. Circumcision is the sign of the covenant between God and the Jews.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry-Hill, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, City : Huntington Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

JerryS
    Participant
    The prohibition of mutilation ties back to non-Jewish religious practices, which are forbidden to emulate. Circumcision is supposed to be a uniquely Jewish ritual, sanctioned by G-d. (I have no idea if it was indeed unique within the historical context; I think I read that the Egyptians did it.)

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Larry-H
    Participant
    According to my Rabbi, this is a story Jewish mothers tell their kids to keep them from getting tattoos. He is not aware of any Jewish cemetery refusing burial to a Jew with tattoos. But tattooing is definitely a violation of Jewish law.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry-H, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, City : Huntington Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

Al
    Participant
    I know that this subject is covered elsewhere in Y? Forum, so I'll be very brief: Circumcision is commanded by God to the Jews, so they don't consider it defilement, but rather a holy observance of their religion (see Genesis 17:10-14). Medical evidence is divided on whether there is a health benefit from circumcision - but almost all doctors will agree that it is not mutilation - as opposed to female genital mutilation practiced by some races, which is not in any written religious text to be found anywhere.

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brian22978
    Participant
    this is a response to the circumcision question. jews get circumcised because God commands you to.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian22978, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.