Italians racist?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bajan
    Participant
    Question for any honest Italian: Why are Italians so apparently racist? It seems that the worst thing for an Italian kid to do is bring home a black person. Remember the Spike Lee film 'Jungle Fever'? That Italian girl was beaten to a pulp for having a black boyfriend. Also, Italian soccer is now being seriously investigated for high levels of racism.

User Detail :  

Name : Bajan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Tech Support Rep, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    I think the problem may not so much be 'Italians' per se. One of the vilest people I ever dated was a self-proclaimed 'good' Roman Catholic who was French/Irish on his mother's side and Italian on his father's side. He thought homosexuality should be a capital crime; referred to all minorities as 'monkeys' and all Jews as 'kikes' or 'shylocks'; and liked to brag about the meal of pork roast, scalloped potatoes, and green beans with bacon his dear dead sainted mother (intentionally) served the time he brought a Jewish girl home to dinner. This level of spiteful, hateful behavior is pretty much the same across the board among self-proclaimed 'good' Roman Catholics, irrespective of whether they're French, Irish, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, South/Central American, or some combination thereof.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ace
    Participant
    Italians are no more nor less racist than anyone else. I'm italian and my dad was a musician. He led numerous bands with black musicians and several of them and their families often visited our house. My italian uncle also was in several bands, and his very first one was called the black and white orchestra, named because it was just him and one of his black friends. Your assertion is incorrect. Generalities like this are what lead to racism.

User Detail :  

Name : ace, Gender : M, City : los angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, 

Christine19502
    Participant
    Many Italians hate EVERYBODY (I'm 100 percent Italian). A lot of Italians think they are 'the greatest' - it's not just blacks or Latinos, but they dislike anyone who is not Italian. For example, the last person I dated was white but not Italian, and my parents were upset about it. It's sort of a "keep the bloodline pure" kind of thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19502, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : personal assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Logan28859
    Participant
    I highly disagree with that. I am part Italian and am not racist. My whole family is Italian and I have never heard them say anything disrespectful to people of a different race. I also disagree with you saying Italians think they are better than everyone else. My family thinks nothing like that at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Logan28859, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 

Christi
    Participant
    I think its just a mix of things. Italians are very proud of their heratige and usually live in an Italian community. Italian and Irish communities are really the last standing white neighborhoods in the east coast urban areas. My grandmother always tells stories about the house she still lives in and how nice the neighborhood used to be. They beleive the reason for this is the 'thug' culture in general not really a race issue. For example, my parents would kill me if I brought home a white kid with pants falling off his hips speaking ebonics. They would much rather see me with a clean cut, well spoken black man. And vice versa.

User Detail :  

Name : Christi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : banker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I think that most Italians are racist against darker ethnicities because Italians, themselves, aren't the whitest people you can find from Europe; so they try to marry only Italians and white people to stay "as white as possible" (if you will).

User Detail :  

Name : CeleronCyto, Gender : Male, Age : 18, City : Maplewood, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Dot
    Participant
    Directed by a guy who loves to see racism in EVERYTHING. I don't believe assimilated Italian-Americans are any more racist than any other American group. However I have noticed that immigrants from all sorts of places tend to be more overtly racist than those who were born here. Perhaps it's just social conditioning that Most Americans know it's wrong to talk smack about other races.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.