Islam and the West

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Erica H.
    Participant
    Could someone please explain the origin of the historic tension between the nations of Islam (a term I understand to mean 'peace') and the West, in particular the United States?

User Detail :  

Name : Erica H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 26, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Advertising Executive, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

linda22707
    Participant
    the americans provide the Israeli army with guns and in return the americans get cheap oil, but it is unfair against the other middle east countries who don't have oil to exchange to guns with the american. The tension between the U.S and afganistan is hard to explain but it is related to the U.S supporting( giving guns etc)

User Detail :  

Name : linda22707, City : helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, 

Martin P.
    Participant
    I am not a historian and am not politically correct. The truth is that Islamic nations do not have problems with the West. I suppose some scholars would cite precedence rooted in the Crusades, but I don't believe this. The fact is that Muslims are sweet people who committed to family and peace of mind. They love food, music and soccer. They will never tell a lie and always live up to their commitments. A certain few resent the United States for subsidizing Israel. After World War II, a dependence on the United States and Europe was established such that now, any removal of this aid would be sending the herd (Israelis) out to slaughter. The supply of arms and vital resources to Israel by Europe and the United States fuels the zealots' rage.

I guess the question should be why do Arabs hate Israel. The answer is long, but I know this: Currently, Israeli soldiers' day-to-day treatment of the Palestinians is horrible (even without the current war). Imagine being harassed, even sexually, when you go to school or to the market by soldiers day in and day out. Imagine being hassled just because the 16-year-old Israeli soldier can. If you fight it, you go to jail. It happens all the time. I resent the United States and European support of Israel. For me, it is like the United States has institutionalized racism for this country only.

User Detail :  

Name : Martin P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anonymous
    Participant
    I believe much of it comes from the United State's backing of Israel. With the formation of Israel, Muslim people lost some of their 'Holy Land,' and this is, obviously, very sacred to them. I believe they think the United States is anti-Muslim because it supports Israel as a nation.

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Natalie-K
    Participant
    One of the early chapters (I think chapter 2)of Islam, A Short History by Karen Armstrong talks about the history of conflict between the East, specifically Islam, and the West. The whole book is very short, so this section shouldn't be hard to find. It's been a while, but I remember one of the main points being that once Western civilizations began to advance so quickly a few hundred years ago, its culture began to spread and take over the local cultures of other lands. This caused some resentment because the other cultures' process of development was interrupted, and invading cultures tend to treat the local ones as inferior. Unfortunately I am not too familiar with the United States' foreign policies, but it seems that the things we do over there continue to make the people feel disrespected.

User Detail :  

Name : Natalie-K, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Various European/Native American, Age : 23, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

LESLIE22881
    Participant
    You make broad statements 'They will never tell a lie and always live up to their commitments' that cannot possibly be true (no Arab has ever told a lie?) and you have your 'facts' wrong - soldiers in the Israeli Army are 18 or older - not 16. The Israeli's believe that 16 year olds belong in school - not in hazardous situations.

User Detail :  

Name : LESLIE22881, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.