Is Jesus for black Americans, too?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gary
    I read in the Bible in Matthew 15:24 that Jesus said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." If Jesus came only for the house of Israel, then who will come for black Americans?

User Detail :  

Name : Gary, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Chester, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Laborer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

John K.
    Participant
    Actually, if you take that statement completely literally, black Americans are not the only ones excluded from the party. It would seem that anyone not of Jewish descent would be out of luck, which would include a huge number of whites and nonwhites of every color and creed. Christianity would be nothing more than a farce, for all purposes. Then again, the Bible is known for having a great many contradictions, many of which relate to the teachings, life, and interpretations of Jesus. Remember that the authors of the books had their own ideas about how things should be interpreted. If the writers of the gospels were Jewish, and saw Jesus as the Messiah, then they would believe that he was there to liberate the Jewish people, first and foremost. The matter of Gentile salvation would have come later. (Of course, that is ignoring the fact that the gospels were all written decades after Jesus died.)

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 26, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve27703
    Participant
    Jesus came and died so that everyone would have a chance to go to heaven. The scripture talks about the tribe of Isreal, but when you read your bible you will find that when you are saved you become an adopted Jew. When you are saved you become part of the family. He will come for those that are saved black, white, red it does not matter to him.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27703, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Beech Creek, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kim
    Jesus is for everyone. God created us all. He loves us all. Jesus is not just for one race, but for all races.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, City : Knoxville, State : TN Country : United States, 

John J. D.
    Participant
    I agree with Kim. If we took that saying literally, then Jesus is not only not for African Americans, but also not for Russians, Chinese, Australians, Italians, Irish, etc. Sometimes statements from the Bible don't make sense outside of context. During His earthly lifetime, Jesus did spend all his time in Judea (southern Israel) and the neighboring lands, but He told His disciples to carry his message all over the world. So you don't have to worry about who's going to come to save you --it's the same One who saves everybody else.

User Detail :  

Name : John J. D., Gender : M, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Stacee27899
    Participant
    In the story you read, Jesus was testing a woman to see if she truly had faith or if she just wanted healing for her daughter. When she shows her faith by persistance, he says, '...O woman, great is your faith! Be it done as you desire.' (Matt. 15:28) Later, in the book of Acts, Peter is commanded to treat all men equally. 'And Peter opened his mouth and said: 'Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him ... To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.' (Acts 10:34-35,43) In Acts 8, Philip preaches to and baptizes an Ethiopian, who returns rejoicing to his country. Revelation 15:4 says, '...All nations shall come and worship thee...' I'm so glad that God includes everyone in his plan. African Americans have made such an important contribution to the Christian faith!

User Detail :  

Name : Stacee27899, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Steve Sewell
    Participant
    The Baha'i view is that each of the prophets of Manifestations of God have come at a specific point in history with a specific message - one that unites all past religious teachings and gives new ones for the age at hand. Thus, they all came for everyone - their appearance in one country or another does not restrict the intended audience to those of like background. The anaolgy that sums this up is that Jesus came to give teachings that would perfect individuals; building on that, Muhammad came with a message that created nations, and Baha'u'llah, the Founder of the Baha'i Faith, has appeared with a message that unites the nations and peoples of the world as one human race. Regardless of which religion we might identify with, the similarity in all of the spiritual teachings is evidence there is one God, one continuously evolving Faith, and one Human Race.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve Sewell, Gender : M, Religion : Baha'i, City : West Chester, State : PA Country : United States, 

Liz
    Participant
    What I've learned is that the lost sheep of Israel is everybody. In the Old Testament, Israel was split into two halves. The top half consisted of 10 1/2 of the tribes of Israel, the bottom of the other 1 1/2. The top half disappeared sometime in the Middle Ages, probably by the Normands and others who invaded the area. These groups have never been heard from again. It is believed that they have been 'scattered' or that their blood is mixed with everyone else's, and that everyone has a trace of the blood from the 12 tribes of Israel.

User Detail :  

Name : Liz, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 19, City : Highland, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

noha
    Participant
    prophet muhamed was sent to the whole world ,to everyone as stated in koraan i don't remeber the exact verse but i'll get back to you with it

User Detail :  

Name : noha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Muslim, Age : 16, City : cairo, State : NA Country : Egypt, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.