Interracial crime, racial profiling

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    On 6/2/99 Jared Taylor, President of the New Century Foundation (Oakton, Va.) read the groups Interracial Crime Report on C-SPAN, which he concluded justified racial profiling by police. The statistics were used to support the contention that "blacks are more dangerous than whites." I would appreciate people of all races weighing in with their perceptions of this statement as well as any experts who can present variables other than race that are better predictors of criminal violence. The report was commissioned by this group, whose hope is to "promote racial understanding."

User Detail :  

Name : Lawrence M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 35, City : Patchogue, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Management Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ACC24063
    Participant
    The central premises of the report, as you state them, are downright bizarre. How could you 'hope to promote racial understanding' by justifying unequal treament based on race? That would promote the opposite of what they claim to want. Isn't this report also likely to be used by genuine bigots to say, 'See, we told you nonwhites are dangerous. So everyone should shut up about injustices done to them.' That this report should come from an allegedly 'progressive' group is, frankly, depressing.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24063, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Andrew
    Participant
    I haven't seen or heard of the report you mention, but based on my experience as a reporter covering crime issues, I disagree that blacks are more dangerous than whites. Economic status is a much better predictor of criminal activity than race, and in one of the few examples where race does seem to be a factor - serial killers - the criminals are overwhelmingly white. I think there's a perception that blacks are more likely to commit crime, but to the extent this is accurate at all, I think it's because blacks are more likely to be poor, which is probably what drives the criminal activity.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Normand19941
    Participant
    The contention that blacks are more dangerous than white is supported by statistics that, adjusting for population differences, show that blacks are 70 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa. Predictors include past arrest records, age of arrests, drug/alcohol use, cruelty to animals, educational level, whether a given household has a father present and mental illness. I am very pessimistic about "racial understanding" in present-day America. How about you?

User Detail :  

Name : Normand19941, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Blue-collar, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Normand19950
    Participant
    'Profiling' probably is justified based on statistics. Have you seen these statistics? Do you know their source? Have you asked yourself why, whenever a black is killed by a white, it receives so much coverage in the mass media, but you never see statistics that prove this is in fact as common as might be surmised from the mass media? Prison populations are composed largely of black males. Is this the result of a conspiracy on the part of whites? I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert in this field, but other possible predictors of criminal behavior include past offences/incarceration, drug/alcohol abuse, history of mental illness, whether the household had a mother and father, cruelty to animals, level of education completed, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Normand19950, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : blue-collar, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

LSD22606
    Participant
    Well, being a citizen in Alameda, I'm far too familiar with the economic differences between whites and blacks in this city. Black on black violence stems from a lack of basic necessities and being able to lash out at our oppressor (because most Blacks are afraid, FUCK ALAMEDA POLICE) LSD

User Detail :  

Name : LSD22606, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.