How the word nigger has evolved

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author

alex
    Participant
    That word is degrading in any context. I dont see how people (young or old) can use it. The only way to get rid of it, is for african americans, as well as black people or people of direct african desent say that we will not call ourselves or anyone by this word. It can only be exterminated if Rap Stars, or whoever say that they will not use that word in their musik anymore because it offends others. Final thought: dont expect someone not to call you somethin you call yourself. We are what we want to be.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

Jeremy-J
    Participant
    I think the word nigger is used a lot and it doesn't matter to SOME black people that SOME black people say it. BUT when some one who isn't black says nigger it's another story. i think that is so wrong. I'm mexican and if i call somebody a spic or beaner or something it doesn't matter to me. If someone were to call me that it wouldn't matter on the color of their skin. I don't like the way SOME black or white or whatever think it's okay to say racial slurs. BLACKS OR WHITES shouldn't get into fist fights over a stupid word. If a black person says nigger to someone it's not okay. If a white person says nigger it's not okay. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SAY RACIAL SLURS EVEN SOME ONE OF THE SAME RACE. I think it has evolved since then.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy-J, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ana
    Participant
    Let me start by saying that i am not racist in any way and i respect everyone regardless of race. I have several black friends and sometimes they will use the term around me and some other friends. We sometimes say nigger around them but only because they do not get offended and they are good friends. However i would NEVER go up to someone i do not know and use that word around them. I guess the word is only used freely when you know the person and it is not meant to be offensive. Using the 'N' word in any other way is very offensive and in my opinion uncalled for.

User Detail :  

Name : Ana, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 16, City : kingsville, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Heather
    I don't know how it was started. I do think that it only can hurt your feelings if you let it. Like any other curse word. I've heard some black people say that any variation of nigger is bad. I've also heard that it's okay if you say nigga but not niggER. The sound of it. 'What's up nigga? What's up nigger' It does sound different. I still don't feel comfortable saying it around black people without discussing it with them first - and even then I still don't say it unless I feel very close to them and nobody else is around.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : believe in a few different things, Age : 26, City : Turner, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

jessie
    Participant
    How I see it the word and it's meaning has changed a great deal because of the fact we as black people or rather young black people have turned it into a positive thing as to say that's my nigga may mean that's my friend . As you can see we have subtracted the 'er' and added an 'a 'at the end to equal nigga .It also has alot to do with pronounciation . Also not just young black people but all young people have the characteristic of turning a lot of things and certain situations into a positive which I personally feel that we do better than adults.

User Detail :  

Name : jessie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Diana
    Participant
    I think that the word 'nigger' was used to degrade Afican Americans by referring the African Americans their slaves... and oddly people.. they didnt except the African Americans because of their color! I was once told by my father that the Americans called them 'NIGGERS' because they were from nigeria.. now I will not lie, i am not sure how the 'nickname' ever really did come about, but it was very embarrassing to me and my culture when i was informed how the Americans really did treat the African Americans! I have NO respect or tolerance for racism! when i look into the world i see no color, i see personality, character, beauty, NOT color. I personally do not think that color should have anything to do with how we live, act, treat each other, fall in love, or enter a friendship.. everyone in this world was created by God and I think that we should all just stop all this bullsh!t.... now as how the word 'nigger' evolved into something that people use now so freely... well many people use this context as a friendly greeting, for example; 'Hey, whats up my nigga?' the way the people use this word makes the word have a complete different meaning, as to if a white person were to say it, the African Americans would probably get very offended.. i think that the word itself has several meanings to different people, different cultures. maybe im wrong.. wut do you think? ...

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : white/native indian, Age : 19, City : Ocala, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Olivia
    Participant
    The word nigger was used to seperate African Americans. They said that a 'nigger' was a black person with a tail. Even when slavery ended, White people still used it as an insult. Now young African Americans use it as a word of companionship towards eachother.

User Detail :  

Name : Olivia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 15, City : Wichita, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Jaime
    Simple enough to answer your question. It's like this, people are not listening to what others are actually saying. Yes the word 'Nigger' is a slanderous word while 'Nigga' is used buy the youth including myself. It's how it is being said is what throwns people around, and gets them confused.'NigGER (I emphasize GER because it is those three key letters that refer it a racial slander)While 'NigGA' (I emphasize GA because that is what makes it differnet from Nigger) is the word in which some ppl use freely. Yet some people feel that 'Nigga' is exactly the same as 'Nigger', while others and the urban community can realte 'Nigga' as acceptable the majority of the time can understand that it is different. I believe that the term 'Nigga' is used as a word for 'DUDE' for black people, but its just not relagated to the black community. I have NEVER and I mean EVER heard a black person use the word 'Dude'. I believe the majority of the ppl who believe that the word 'Nigga' means the same as 'Nigger' are just ignorant of the matter, and I dont use ignorant as a cut down either. Although just because they know how to use the word doesnt entitle ppl to use it around blacks because, they can still take offense to it. This is all IMO. The word nigger has not evolved into a word that can be used by some and not by others. Tthere is just now another word very similar to it that that refers to a person as 'dude', or 'guy' and that word is nigga not nigger.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaime, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 18, City : Kyle, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Landlord, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Z. Michael
    The word 'nigger' was used by racists to make black folks feel inferior. Through the years, the word 'nigger' spawned 'nigga' which is very fondly used in a lot of minority circles. Basically, they took something very negative and turned it into something positive... so to speak.

User Detail :  

Name : Z. Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : Springfield, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Producer, 

Drew-York-City
    Participant
    The word nigger has evolved because it's been used so many times. If you look really good in the bible it is used there too.(not directly to one race though.) The evolution is like this: Nigger = ignorant person/racial slur [i.e.=What a dumb nigger!/Those fucken niggers!] Nigga = friendly greeting; accepted only by black/hispanic and/or rap persons.[i.e.=What's up my nigga?](used in as a friendly greeting) Does that answer your question?¿

User Detail :  

Name : Drew-York-City, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Blind, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : N/A, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    In the past slave owners used the word in degradeing the African americans, these days people have made words what there not out to be. for example, A while back when someone would say that they feel gay, they ment happy, these days people have turned words and have taken them completely out of context, i personaly dont use the word, and nore do i think anyone else should, some people, ( white or black ) get affended by the use of this word, and some have no problem, if it was just a word that ment buddy or friend ALL the time even in the past i wouldnt seem to mind much but its not it was used to look down upon another human being. I dont care for the word and dont think anyone should use the word at all, much less all the time ( freely).

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 15, City : duncan, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    There are so many young people how do not know their history. or they know it and do understand the pain and suffering our ancestors went through that we may become so called equal. I feel we need to take that word out or vocabulary so many of our people died because of that word. sure they try to loosen it up by sayin nigga when they know if a white person called them that they would want to fight. We as young African American teens need to dig deep down into our history and see how far we have come besides if you dont know where you came from how do you know where you are going

User Detail :  

Name : Kimmy Smithes, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : St.Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Me
    Participant
    As far as I know the word came from the word NEGRO (which means black in several languages)and some idiot with a language problem made the other word out of it.It was used to humiliate them and seperate them.Todays kids are more relaxed with that term and it became very common among them which however doesn't ean it is okay and doesn't offend others.I don't think a lot of the kids mean harm with it but think its 'cool'.

User Detail :  

Name : Me, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Lawrenceville, State : GA Country : United States, 

James S.
    The word nigger derived from the root word negro.....the word nigger made up by slave owners means ignorant or dumb. i think young people use it today as a means of relating to one another it's meaning in certain context means the same as before but the original meaning has changed. i hope this has answered your question and may god bless.

User Detail :  

Name : James S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Target, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Micah
    Participant
    Good question, I can only answer the first.Niger is latin for black. If you look in the kjv of the bible you will see that in Acts 13:1 it mentions of certain phropets and teachers, simeon one of them was called a niger. possibly this could of been the origin of whites calling blacks niggers since many have used the kjv to justify acts of racism. Nigger is a derivation of the word niger.

User Detail :  

Name : Micah, City : Goldsboro, State : NC Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.