Hospital scrubs the new fashion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Gena-L
    Participant
    I have noticed many hospital employees wearing their scrubs in restaurants and other places outside of the hospital. I thought scrubs were worn in hospitals for sanitary reasons. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of sanitation when the scrubs are worn as street clothes?

User Detail :  

Name : Gena-L, Gender : F, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Gabriel
    Participant
    Scrubs are worn mostly for the sake of the hospital employee. They are loose-fitting (ergo both comfortable and allowing for necessary freedom of movement,) they wash and mend easily, and foremost, they protect the 'real' clothes of the employee from irremovable stains. When a hospital worker needs to be incredibly sanitary, he or she dons sterile gowns, hats and booties that are either disposable or left in the hospital for re-sterilization.

User Detail :  

Name : Gabriel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Albuqueruqe, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Justin27061
    Participant
    They're likely not hospital workers. Hospital scrubs have become an outsider fashion, such as karate pants and the like. A thrift store I go to gets them all the time, and they go like hotcakes. I read that hospitals have started rationing them like snakebite medicine because interns walk off with racks of them for their friends.

User Detail :  

Name : Justin27061, Gender : M, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Jim30700
    Participant
    They are trying to impress people that they are lifesavers. Ninety-five percent of them are probably nurse's aides making $6 an hour who don't know a spleen from a kidney.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim30700, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Sterling Heights, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Murray C.
    Participant
    These people you see may not even be hospital staff. A few years ago, wearing green hospital scrubs was a fashion trend among teenagers where I lived. They were getting these scrubs on the 'black market,' probably from hospital employees wanting to make a few extra bucks. As far as sanitary reasons go, these scrubs usually never see the inside of an operating room because they get stolen off the supply truck even before they reach the loading bay at the hospitals. This made it difficult to track, because when the hospital supply rooms were full, it was hard to tell exactly how much was getting stolen off the truck. For a while the hospital didn't care because their supply demand was always fulfilled. The person losing out was the garment company that made these scrubs in the first place.

User Detail :  

Name : Murray C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 31, City : Halifax, Nova Scotia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Draftsman, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa22773
    Participant
    What makes you think they're trying to impress others? Ever thought that maybe they're on a lunch break or just gotten off work? If you worked in a law firm, would you change your clothes before going out to lunch or when running to the grocery store after work? I didn't think so. And your crass remark about them ONLY being nurse's aides making $6 an hour shows a major lack of education and intellect. Without the people making only $6 an hour, it'd be nearly impossible for RNs to do their jobs. All people make the world go 'round.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22773, Gender : F, City : Gaithersburg, State : MD Country : United States, 

Leslie22893
    Participant
    Because people have just gotten off work and are too tired to go home and change.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie22893, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Psychologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

April23752
    Participant
    I work in a hospital and the reason we wear scrubs is that it is required. It certainly is not a fashion statement. They have actually done studies and it has been shown that patients feel more comfortable and have more confidence in their care providers if they wear a uniform. Since we're not sitting at desks all day a suit certainly would not be appropriate. Not all persons who wear scrubs in public engage in direct personal care and for those who do and then wear them in public, yuck! I take mine off as soon as I hit my door. And believe me, scrubs are not so fashionable that I want to wear them out in public

User Detail :  

Name : April23752, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Fowlerville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, 

Tara
    Participant
    These people may be on their lunch break, or may have just gotten off work. I wear my scrubs to lunch (why change first?) and to the grocery store when I go straight after work.

User Detail :  

Name : Tara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Ultrasound Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

madspliffer
    Participant
    Why $6 an hour...not to mention a stereotype on top of a stereotype. Why not comfort with a uniform look. My first job was as a receptionist at a family health clinic, and it was mandatory that I wore either scrubs or dressed up. -At 14, I picked the scrubs! -and even back then I was paid more than 6 bucks an hour.

User Detail :  

Name : madspliffer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : bill collector, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Sheila27956
    Participant
    They should not wear their uniform because if they come from work it can carry jerms from the clients. Most people in a hospital profession come home, take their shoes off BEFORE they walk into the house (leave them in the garage) and immediately after taking off their uniform put it in the washer and wash it separately.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheila27956, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : Chesterton, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : healthcare worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Davidde
    Participant
    Are you sure all these people you see are actually hospital employees? In the town in which I live it is actually quite fashionable to wear at least the bottoms. You see people walking around everywhere with them and it is quite obvious they are not doctors or nurses nor in any way associated with any of the hospitals in the city. I admit to owning several pairs of both the tops and bottoms. I am not sure about other cities - but the major supplier of scrubs in the province is located in the city in which I live and they have a retail outlet so it is quite easy and accessable for anyone to obtain the scrubs. Of course they are not 'cool' unless they are stamped with 'Property of LHLS' - which indicates they where in the possession of the hospital when the individual obatined them - ones bought directly from the store do not have this designation.

User Detail :  

Name : Davidde, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 28, City : London, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : independently wealthy, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Monica A.
    Participant
    Wow! What a cruel thing to say! I happen to be a CNA/Home Health Aide and I find that comment extremely offensive! First of all, the '$6 per hour' remark needs to be directed to the 'class' category in this website so we can chew your ass up. Second, I support my two children on my salary and they aren't starving! Last, I would like to see RN's and doctors make it without our expertise. When you are old and feeble you'll be thankful for those who 'can't tell a spleen from a kidney.'

User Detail :  

Name : Monica A., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Ft. Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Mom, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Leah24545
    Participant
    They may not be hospital employees, they could work in a dentist office, or doctors office. Also, many hairdressers, nail techs and massage therapists are now wearing these because it gives a professional appearance and saves their own clothing. They are inexpensive and look nice.

User Detail :  

Name : Leah24545, Gender : F, Age : 41, City : Bartow, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    My mom has worked in pediatric centers, general wellness centers, emergency rooms, and has her masters in nursing (I'm not sure of the technicalities of her actual title but she's pretty cool), and from what I've seen, anyone working in a hospital must wear scrubs. When you see someone walking around in scrubs, look at their eyes. They're DEFINITELY exhausted. Scrubs are obviously not a fashion statement. I mean let's be honest, NO ONE is trying to impress anyone by wearing such a fashion atrocity in public. They simply do not care that they look like they're wearing bed sheets: They dont have a huge amount of time because anyone working in a hospital can/will be up until the late hours of the night. It isn't uncommon for Nurses to work 12 hour shifts with a small lunch break in between. They need to get things done just like the rest of us. On top of that, there's no Hospital Constitution stating that "Scrubs must be worn ONLY in the hospital". A better question, why is the focus on what they're wearing rather than how they might be feeling?

User Detail :  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.