Homosexuals vs. pedophiles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Peggy
    Participant
    Why do straight people confuse homosexuals with pedophiles? I'm under the belief that most molesters are culturally defined as 'straight', yet the victims (and society) often lash out at the gay community. Isn't that why the terms are different, because they are, in fact, different?

User Detail :  

Name : Peggy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Project Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monika19669
    Participant
    People who say that believe that if you are willing to have sex with someone of the same gender, then you will do anything. I know some people who have said to me that they will never leave their children with a gay man or woman because they feel that their children's safety will be in danger. I was molested by a straight man - and I've never met a gay person who wasn't warm and sweet.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika19669, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    There is a need to separate 'them' from 'us' by viewing pedophiles as far from cultural norms as possible, to wit, gay. It makes people like Jimmy Swaggart feel morally superior to assume that anyone who molests little boys is 'one a them thar faggoty queers' irrespective of the repeatedly proven FACT that 98% of child molesters are straight males, irrespective of the gender of the children they rape. It also makes concerned, (but not concerned enough to take time out of their busy schedules to bother vetting their children's friends) Mommies and Daddies feel all warm and cuddly: As long as one of 'them' isn't living around here, little Blossom and Herkimer are 'safe' - and never mind the fact that most child molesters, in addition to being straight, are known and trusted by their victims. Add to this the media hysteria in those few cases when the molester IS gay, and you have a fine recipe for a whole heapin' helpin' of major denial and stereotyping.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jordan
    Participant
    Although pedophiles aren't always gay, the media tends to focus more on the cases when the pedophile is gay, because society already has a negative connotation with gay people and so a gay pedophile will get more attention than a straight one. The fact that homosexuality is generally considered perversion probably makes people associate the two.

User Detail :  

Name : Jordan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Deist, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael-W
    Participant
    I've never heard the confusion that you're referring to. I don't associate pedophiles with a specific sexual orientation, I just think of them as people who are sick-minded and probably need treatment for their mental condition.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael-W, Gender : M, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Chris
    Participant
    oh yes quite unsettling. They make my skin crawl. They are the plague on the planet

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Religion : asa, Age : 24, City : havana, State : IL Country : United States, 

FreedaBee
    Participant
    It's not just straight people confusing homosexuals with pedophiles; it's everyone confusing pedophiles with anything but pedophiles. In your question you wrote that "most molesters are culturally defined as straight." So even you are confusing heterosexuals with pedophiles. Pedophilia has nothing to do with the normal, healthy attraction that people of appropriate ages have for each other - whether it's a 12-year-old boy and girl holding hands or some old lesbian couple running of to just about any country other than the US to get married. Pedophilia is a separate sexual orientation from any other - it's an adult who is sexually attracted to children. Neither the gender of the pedophile or the child matters - a man who abuses little boys is no more a pedophile than one who goes after little girls. And, while many pedophiles have a target age-range and gender that they prefer to molest, many are opportunists who will take advantage whatever kid is available if they think they can get away with it. Pedophiles are attracted to children and while they may have certain preferences, for many just about any kid will do. To compare that with heterosexuals and homosexuals, most have a certain "type" they're attracted to: blondes, body-builders, blue-eyes, hairy back, tall, short, skinny, fat, whatever. Now, while most healthy adults have a "type," they're generally willing to bend their rules if a good opportunity presents itself, i.e. a "boob man" may pursue a flat-chested girl if she'd got other qualities like. BUT, few and far between are the men who, when they can't find a girl that's their type, will turn to the guy on the next barstool and say, "Tag! You're it!" Bi-sexuality and drunken sorority girls and adolescent experimentation aside, heterosexuals and homosexuals stick to their gender-of-choice and select partners based on other variables. Pedophiles stick to their choice - children - and the gender of the child is often just a matter of opportunity. The majority of pedophiles may tend to be middle-aged and white, but they're only pretending to be heterosexuals to keep from being stoned or tarred-and-feathered. They can no more stop being attracted to children than straight men can stop being attracted to women.

User Detail :  

Name : FreedaBee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 43, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Finance, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Most people believe that if someone has sex with someone of the same gender, it makes them gay. And since most child molestors are males, when the victims include males, people assume the pedophile is gay. But for pedophiles, gender is secondary. Age is the most important factor in chosing a victim. Love and Light

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.