Hitting on teenage girls

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

T.M.Romaine
    Participant
    Some of my teenage female students tell me that they are hit on so much by men, all ages, all ethnicities, that they are afraid to go buy gas alone. These aren't skanky girls. I feel that their civil rights are being violated. What gives?

User Detail :  

Name : T.M.Romaine, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 48, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

MariamM
    Participant
    I'm a 19 year-old college student, and I'm so sick of men's demeaning catcalls and staring at me like a piece of meat. It makes me wary of all men because it has happened so often. It seems to be a way for them to gain control of us, they see us as naive. It's harassment, but since it happens so often in the public setting, people have resorted to "ignoring" it instead of doing something about it. If this isn't pushing patriarchy forward, I don't know what is.

User Detail :  

Name : MariamM, City : Bay Area, State : CA Country : United States, 

RickB
    Are they being hit on, or are they being harassed? I think there is a difference. Not to mention now a days you can't even tell a woman they look beautiful or any kind of compliment without them feeling like you are attempting to win them over for some other agenda, other than just being a nice person. I know all about harassment. I worked at a bar for over a year where 90% of our private parties were older women and they would harass me and another bartender constantly. I just paid no mind. At times it was flattering, and others it was disturbing... I dont like hearing guys whistle or yell down the street at women they dont know. Its childish and ignorant, now a days though a lot of the younger women seem to enjoy it unfortunately, so im guessing it will push the men it works for to keep

User Detail :  

Name : RickB, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 27, City : Trenton, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chef, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    The media, advertising and our general culture teaches men that all women are available (for the right price). Men grow up being fed the BS that 'no' means 'yes' and that any woman who bothers to put on lipstick is actively trolling for sex with anyone who happens to want her. I've heard a guy say that any woman who works out to have a good figure must be a slut.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

citrine
    Participant
    I was very disturbed to see the same thing when I worked with high school students a few summers ago. I used to accompany them on out of town trips to visit industries in Denver (the nearest major city). Now these were small town kids from low income families - their idea of a grand shopping spree was going to WalMart. Most of the girls were in their mid teens and looked their age. I just couldn't comprehend why men (even ones in their 60's) STARED at these girls. When we were at a large hotel near a ski resort, a man who seemed like a corporate guy in his early 30's, who was there with his wife, their baby AND an older couple (his/her parents?) seemed transfixed by the sight of the girls and kept on staring at them from halfway across the dining area. The girls were getting ready to go camping and were dressed in their usual cheap white Ts and ill fitting jeans. No makeup, unstyled hair. They were not in high spirits, just tired from the previous days' travel; just trying to keep awake. Even some of the male instructors (college and H.S. teachers) who worked for the program used to stare at the girls. One of the instructors was trying to get the girls to use their tiny stipend to take him out. That summer, I saw a side to many males that I hope never to see in my personal life.

User Detail :  

Name : citrine, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, City : Powell, State : WY Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.