Highly Sensitive People

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Deb
    Participant
    What does it mean, in the disabilities/challenges nomenclature, to be a 'Highly Sensitive Person'?

User Detail :  

Name : Deb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Juno R.
    Participant
    It means we have no way of blocking out stimuli. I get 'sensory overload' from environments most people would consider fun: an amusement park, party, mall, concert. It's like our senses are set higher than other people's, and with no "off" switch. Bright lights, noise, strong smells and too many human energies can trigger extreme fight-or-flight responses, stress and anxiety. Because of this I have chosen to live far out in the woods, away from artificial stimuli and smells, in a sparsely decorated cabin. Now I am happy and at peace. I choose to go to town and pick my activities carefully. My friends understand that I sometimes need to go away and recharge, but that I will come back. I just have a lower tolerance for input than most people. I do not consider this a disability, just something I need to be aware of.

User Detail :  

Name : Juno R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 38, City : Swisshome, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : mechanic/musician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Beth23198
    Participant
    There are several web sites: www.thomaseldridge.com or www.hsperson.com
    Another sign is being super-sensitive to one particular stimuli. I can't stand indoor fountains - they drive me nuts - although the ocean or creeks are fine. Other signs I am an HSP are extreme sensitivity to caffeine and blood sugar levels. And I easily get over-loaded by human touch.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23198, Gender : F, City : Colorado Springs, State : CO Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.