Hell-bound? Says who?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Marjie H.
    Participant
    I have been told on more than one occasion by "born-again" Christians that I am going to hell. Why do these particular Christians feel it is their duty to inform me of this? Isn't it taking the Lord's name in vain when you purport to know the will of God?

User Detail :  

Name : Marjie H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Pacific Islander, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jillian30681
    Participant
    Don't listen to them. They have no right to speak to you that way.

User Detail :  

Name : Jillian30681, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JB21113
    Participant
    People have free will - we can either reject God and his son Jesus or we can receive Him. The Bible is clear that no one will enter the kingdom of heaven except through faith in Jesus Christ. While the delivery of the message that you are 'hell-bound' may have been offensive, the messenger probably meant well. No Christian wants to see a friend living (or dying) without knowing who Jesus is, but more importantly, knowing HIM. If I were you, I would find out for myself whether these people'd claims are true. You can start by reading the book of Romans in the New Testament of the Bible, followed by the four Gospels - the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the New Testament. I hope you find the Truth.

User Detail :  

Name : JB21113, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Susan-M
    Participant
    I get a bit tired of those who declare their belief in Hell. I think it is right here and now. I live in a very conservative little Texas town north of Austin, and we are abound in those who feel they must convert everyone else to their way of thinking. I hope someone answers your question. I don't think they will stop. It is their mission in life.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan-M, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 57, City : Cedar Park, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Cashier, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Adriana
    Participant
    Born-again Christians can be such a pain, but please note that the waging of holy war is one of the five Pillars of Islam. At least they don't beat around the bush. No one knows the will of God, and that's what's scary. That's why we could all be more tolerant of each other, because no matter how much we think we know we're right, we may in fact be on the completely wrong road. (The book of Job comes to mind.) They may be born again, but if they say stuff like that to your face, they're just bad-mannered, religion aside.

User Detail :  

Name : Adriana, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Harrisburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Andy M.
    Participant
    As a Christian, it troubles me that so many of my fellow believers are bent on telling everyone else that they are going to hell. It seems as though we have a stronger desire to be defined by what we stand against rather than what we stand for. The message I believe is even more important than the reality of hell is the incredible love of God.

However, I do believe that hell is a very real place described in the Bible. It is an eternal destination for those who choose not to become followers of Christ (a.k.a "born-again.") All Christians believe strongly in the Bible, and since hell is described in the Bible, we must be faithful to its entire message. Unfortunatly many Christians who speak about hell do so in a way that appears to be judging others. While I do not think that describing hell as a real place for those who are not born-again can be considered taking the Lords name in vain, it certainly sets us up to be measured by a higher standard. In the end, it is my responsibility as a Christian to communicate the whole message of the Bible, not just the parts that I feel comfortable with. It is ultimately up to God to make the final judgement. I am very thankful for that.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Lawrence, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Pastor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Craig
    The ultimate authority in declaring who goes to heaven or hell is the creator of heaven and hell. Christians believe this creator is Jesus/God. We also believe that he has most clearly communicated with us through the Bible. Thus, if the Bible says you are destined for hell, I would agree with it and perhaps tell you. Generally I don't. I would prefer to tell you about the benefits of living for Jesus rather than the consequences of not doing so. There are others who will tell you about 'going to hell' with the same urgency that you might use to warn someone they are about to step into a manhole or drive on the wrong side of the highway. As long as they are correctly telling you what the Bible says, they are not taking the Lord's name in vain.

User Detail :  

Name : Craig, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, Age : 40+, City : n/a, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Dan
    Participant
    They should rather tell you about the saving grace of Jesus Christ. I feel it is my duty to at least explain to the people I know what Jesus is all about. If you want someone to escape a burning theater, you don't scream at them that they're going to burn, you lead them to the emergency exit. As for using the Lord's name in vain, when the Bible is explicit about something, well, as they say, 'You can quote me on that.'

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Fred S.
    It's not taking the Lord's name in vain to say you're going to hell, but it is against a direct command of God not to judge other people's eternal state. The people telling you this are wrong, but they are too stupid to know it. I have no time for such people, and I advise you to do the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Fred S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 45, City : Little Rock, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : law, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

H.
    Any real Christian would know that only God decides who goes to heaven and who, if anyone, goes to hell. These people call themselves Christian but forget that Christians may not judge other people, only God can do that. The Bible says that Christians can be identified by their acts of goodness and that those who do good are worshipping Him even if they do not call Him by name. Anyone who excludes other people or judges them is not following the example of Christ, who NEVER excluded anyone.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.