Heavy on the odor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Carrie
    Why do African-American and Hispanic females have a heavy body odor, especially during their monthly cycle? I attended a school where there were many of that background, and just by walking past them, I could smell an unpleasant odor.

User Detail :  

Name : Carrie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    You probably smell different to them, too. Some of them might think your smell is unpleasant. It's just not what you're used to. Different body chemistry, maybe? Diet? Who knows? ______________________________________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer
    Participant
    I do not know what school you went to but I know that all of the people I associate with and myself do not have an odor when menustrating at all. Don't take this personally, but did you ever think that is was you who was smelling all the time and you subconsciously blamed it on someone else? It could be that you were just around dirty people who did not know how to keep themselves clean? There are some of those in every race.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Full-time student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

ME21884
    Participant
    Are you serious? Well, you obviously are if you're asking huh? First time here, sorry. Well, to answer your question it's simply a matter of personal hygiene. I've come across many funky people of all races. Some people don't wash daily or have sweat glands working overtime. You're not going to get any scientific, cultural, or psychological response to this question because as I said before, it's a matter of hygiene. I have to say I've never noticed this before with a particular race and I hope I never do. Body odors are not a good thing. =)

User Detail :  

Name : ME21884, City : Silver Spring, State : MD Country : United States, 

T.R.
    Participant
    not true for all African-American and Hispanic women. In fact, my friends have noted strange odors coming from certain groups of white women, but they aren't foolish enough to think all white women smell. If you see people who are different from you, it's easy to imagine or exaggerate things about them and turn them into negatives. I'd advise you to expand your horizons a little. You'll see that odor is not specific to race at all.

User Detail :  

Name : T.R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    I believe it's a matter of whether they've been taught proper hygiene. As an African-American female with two daughters (one of whom had her first cycle this year), I believe in that old saying, 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness.' I believe it is my responsibility as their mother to speak frankly with them about their bodies and set an example of how they should conduct themselves as growing young women. My husband deals with or sons in the same manner.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 33, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, 

Dominique
    Participant
    I agree with the other two who responded: Odor is very subjective and cannot be generalized to such a large group or race. I think some of my white colleagues smell like old balogna, and it's true for them, but I wouldn't go so far to say all white people smell like that. That's like saying Asians smell like fried rice. It's a stereotype, not a truth. It often has to do with hygiene.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Don't believe in religion, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Heather
    Not even close! I have noticed that black people are almost TOO clean (with their bodies and homes), while white people tend to be dirty. My black friends are meticulous, and all of their friends are the same. And if you did notice any black woman smelling bad, I assure you it is not genetic.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 20, City : Baton Rouge, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Marron-Bella22139
    Participant
    That is such an untruth. Why just today I was in a line at the supermarket. There was this white man behind me that smelled like a barrel of grandaddies. Now would it be proper for me to say that all white people, especially the poor white people, smell bad? No, it would not. True, some blacks smell, but so do some whites. Sometimes I feel that the only reason that the white people did smell good was because of the hairspray or shampoo they use. White people's body's tend to take on odors very easily due to their thin skin and soft hair.

User Detail :  

Name : Marron-Bella22139, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Clerical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.