Hanging Out With Grandpa on Campus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jared Kelsay
    Participant
    How do younger college students tend to perceive older college students? Is it taboo for younger students to hang out with older students?

User Detail :  

Name : Jared Kelsay, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Kingsport, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, 

Teresa28632
    Participant
    At my university I made friends with people of all ages, ranging from people younger than me to people in their 30s. Most of my closest friends ended up being graduate students who are in their late 20s (they've since graduated). I didn't intend it, but it just turned out the older students were the ones I liked best. I didn't feel strange hanging out with older students--they didn't 'act old' or whatever...The only thing that would concern me is what they think of me being much younger; but many people thought I was a little older than I am.

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa28632, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Gurnee, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 
    Because I graduated high school when I was 17, I was one of the youngest people in my freshman year. I hung out with students of all ages, from 17-year-olds to people in their late 20s. I never experienced any sort of "taboo" at all.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    As a middle age woman, I hope you decide not to worry what others think and follow your heart. A joke - but true: When you're 20, you worry what everyone thinks about you. When you're 40, you don't give a damn what anyone thinks about you. When you're 60, you realize that nobody was thinking about you in the first place. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KaylaL
    No, I don't think its taboo. I started college a little young and I eased into it by taking night classes before going full time. The majority of students going to night college with me were either military, retired and wanting something to do, or had already gotten one degree and was working on another one to help with a promotion in their already established careers. I think the closest person in age to me that year was 24. Now I go to full time day classes and there are very few people not in the 'traditional' college age range. In most of the classes I have had though the middle age people sort of automatically band together ( and start swapping stories of their jobs/families etc.) which may discourage others joining their group since most of us don't have those experiences. Maybe the other students wont go out of their way to hang out with you, but I don't think they would go out of their way to avoid you either.

User Detail :  

Name : KaylaL, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.