Guys and (Dumb) Dolls

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

David25854
    Participant
    I have found over the years that when I go to the cinema on a date or with female friends, I often have to explain the plot of movies. Do women find it more difficult to follow movie storylines? Have other men had this problem, or am I just picking dumb gals?

User Detail :  

Name : David25854, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : African Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Electrician, Education level : Technical School, 

Annie23880
    Participant
    I don't think that has anything to do with gender. I have to explain movie plots to my husband. He says if a movie doesn't contain car accidents or stuff blowing up, he doesn't get it.

User Detail :  

Name : Annie23880, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 51, City : Lawrenceville, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : copy editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

T27531
    Participant
    You're picking odiously dumb gals.

User Detail :  

Name : T27531, Gender : F, City : Munich, State : NA Country : Germany, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Hasan
    Participant
    Perhaps your friends are subtly making a comment about you, but doing so without hurting your feelings or your even knowing. They may be coaching you in your own behavior and knowing that you will see it for what it is. So they would be thinking that it is you who are in need of some 'explaining.'

User Detail :  

Name : Hasan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 28, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Maybe the girls are playing dumb to make you feel superior? Or maybe, as you said, they really are dumb. I understand the plot of movies, (except for Eyes Wide Shut, I really missed the point on that one, call me stupid if you will). However, at times I have to explain plots to my grandparents, not because they are stupid, but because they grew up in an era where you read all the time and therefore now sometimes have trouble following the rapid visuals in movies.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ane
    Participant
    I'm thinking it's more your choice in movies. And besides, who goes to the movies on a date anyway? I hope this isn't a first date destination because that is no way to get to know someone. Perhaps these ladies are simply trying to start a conversation and would rather be in a setting that allowed such. And most importantly, who are these annoying people who are trying to talk to you during a movie?

User Detail :  

Name : ane, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 23, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    no, man...it doesn't mean she's dumb per se...just that she doesn't have a large attention span, or you're taking her to the wrong movie. :P

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Chattanooga, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Music, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pam Winkler
    Participant
    In defense of dumb girls, or those who seem dumb: I sometimes have a hard time telling who's who in a movie. Everyone's cute but not very distinctive, so it can be hard to figure out what's happening, because I can't tell whether that's the hero, the villian, or an innocent bystander.

User Detail :  

Name : Pam Winkler, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Lincoln, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Eb
    Participant
    MAYBE YOU JUST WATCH DUMB MOVIES AT THE CINEMA!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Eb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

lesley-w22870
    Participant
    okay, I just wonder if the girls are truely in the dark about understanding the plots or if they are just flirting with you. That is if they are asking specifically for an explanation. Perhaps you are assuming they are even asking. My husband talks all through movies as if I need a narrative, though I don't.

User Detail :  

Name : lesley-w22870, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : mesa, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : nurse assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Carolyn32362
    Participant
    Maybe they're just making conversation. I've done that before on dates for multiple reasons. Either A) I can't stand waht the guy is talking about now, so I change the subject to something I can stand. B) Hav enothing to say to him or he to me, so give a topic off the top of my head. C) Want to snuggle closer, so I have the guy whisper the movie storyline in my ear to catch up on what's happening now. D) I don't always pay attention in a movie theatre. For me, it's a time to socialize. So, dates or friends and I will do more whispering than weatching (unless the movie is really good) and often miss some of the action. E) Your dates are stupid. :P

User Detail :  

Name : Carolyn32362, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, 

Meiran
    Participant
    There's something else at work here. I'm usually the one explaining the finer plot points to my friends, both male and female. But then, I went to film school. It's not a gender thing. It might be the types of movies you're going to on dates. Maybe the women think they're boring?

User Detail :  

Name : Meiran, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Katie
    Participant
    No, in fact if you look up both male and female statistics, women are actually more literate and artistic than men, which in both instances would help them appreciate and follow film more. However, in a male dominated film world often times the stories have an extremely masculine edge to them, which would obviously clash with someone who looks at the world from a feminine viewpoint. Although I generally believe that the reason it appears that more women cannot follow movies rather than men is that females are just much more vocal about things. I'm sure you've gone to the movies with some guy friends who just weren't getting it, but just never said anything.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.