Guess who’s coming (newspaper column)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Frederick-C
    Participant
    To white people: would you invite a black person to your home? Have you ever?

User Detail :  

Name : Frederick-C, Gender : M, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    When I lived in Texas, my guest list for my 11th birthday sleepover consisted of two white girls, the one Hispanic girl in our class and four black girls. Why? These were my friends. In fact, pretty much my entire life, if I'm friends with a black person, I invite them over, and they invite me over, and so on. It's called 'friendship'. Get familiar with the concept.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cari19671
    Participant
    Yes, I have. Why would I not?

User Detail :  

Name : Cari19671, Gender : F, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, 

Logan28878
    Participant
    I have, many times. My best friend is black, and He's over quite a lot.

User Detail :  

Name : Logan28878, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Parrish, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Aimee
    Participant
    Yes, I have several black friends. I even had a close black friend live with us for a year. I was always raised that people are people - to look at the inside of a person, not their skin color.

User Detail :  

Name : Aimee, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 52, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : secretary, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    I do my best to ignore outward appearances and focus on the person within, regardless of weight, faith, race, age, etc. But I have to be good enough friends with someone-- regardless of who it is-- to invite them to my house. Love and Light, Rev. Shelly

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

KristinJ
    I have many times, but avoid inviting African Americans who always remind others that they are black. For instance, the famous comment "I'm the only black person here". Like we didn't notice. Obviously nobody cared until you brought it up. Now you've made people uncomfortable. That's not a successful, relaxing evening, and you will not be invited back. In the same vein, should we also count the number of Asian Americans, Italian Americans, Native Americans, and, God forbid, European Americans? My parents immigrated from Scandanavia to this country in the '60s. I should not be made to feel guilty about what British immigrants did in the 18th and 19th centuries. Kristin

User Detail :  

Name : KristinJ, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 44, City : Ponte Vedra Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JorgeM
    Participant
    Frederick asks "white people" if they would ever invite a black person to their home. I am a white person, and, for me, the answer is "it depends." It depends upon whether they are good company, whether they would feel welcome in my home, whether they are friends or whether I know them at all... in short, the same criteria I would use when considering whether I would have ANYONE over. Yes, of course, I've invited black people to my home. I wish that we lived in a world where this question was patently ridiculous.

User Detail :  

Name : JorgeM, Gender : Male, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 52, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Renea
    Participant
    I'm a 48-year-old female with children, and all their friends were welcome in my home as long as they behaved as they should. It's not what you are that makes you a friend, it's who you are. What a weird question. Get over yourself. I invite whomever I want into my home, regardless of race.

User Detail :  

Name : Renea, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : late 50s, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.