Gringos

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Debra-S
    Participant
    Why do Hispanics call white people gringos?

User Detail :  

Name : Debra-S, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 48, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : RN, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Paloma V.
    Participant
    There are many explanations as to the origin, here's one: http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20000821.html As for the why, it's very hard to say.

User Detail :  

Name : Paloma V., Gender : F, Race : Latin/Native American, Age : 35, City : Daly City, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Luis22477
    Participant
    There are two theories: One is that in Mexico, the locals told U.S. soldiers 'Green Go Home,' referring to the green uniforms. Green Go Home was shortened to Green Go, hence 'gringo'. The other theory is that it is a corruption of the Spanish word for Greek, 'griego,' but at one point evolved to 'gringo.' The connection with Greek was the fact that foreigners could not be understood, but why they chose Greek is beyond me. Another thing: gringo does not refer to a white person. A black American will also be called a gringo if he or she visits Latin America. A Hispanic born in the States (as myself) is also considered a 'gringo.'

User Detail :  

Name : Luis22477, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Dave26016
    Participant
    In Mexico last year, I was told the answer to this and later verified it. In the 1930s (I think), Mexico was having some internal issues and the United States sent the Green Berets to 'keep the peace.' The Mexican people did not appreciate this and would say 'Green Go', or Green Beret, go home. It evolved into Gringo.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26016, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 34, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : CSR, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Campbell McGregor
    Participant
    There are a number of theories about this one. Contrary to one colorful legend, it is not because the defenders of the Alamo sang 'Green Grow the Rushes O' just before the Mexicans attacked. The explanation generally accepted by experts on language is that it derives from 'griego,' the Spanish word for 'Greek,' ultimately extended to other European nationalities.

User Detail :  

Name : Campbell McGregor, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : asperger's syndrome, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 43, City : Glasgow, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : school crossing patroller, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

ACC25118
    Participant
    It's a term I've never heard used in my life by Latinos who were born here. I've only heard it said in Mexico, or in old movies. It's not an epithet, ilt's more along the lines of saying 'Yankee,' with which it's used interchangeably. Originally it came from the Spanish word 'griego,' or Greek. In other words, someone you can't understand. Some of the more sanitized versions told so white kids won't have their feelings hurt say it's from an old song 'Green go the Rushes.'

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25118, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, Age : 37, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Rick29945
    Participant
    According to Rawson, the Diccionario Castellano of 1787 noted that in Malaga 'foreigners who have a certain type of accent which keeps them from speaking Spanish easily and naturally' were referred to as gringos, and the same term was used in Madrid, particularly for the Irish. The true origin of gringo is most likely that it came from griego, the Spanish word for 'Greek.' In Spanish, as in English, something difficult or impossible to understand is referred to as being Greek: We say 'It's Greek to me,' just as in Spanish an incomprehensible person is said to hablar en griego (i.e., 'speak in Greek').

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29945, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Letty
    I live in southern Spain, and in nearly 10 years here I have never once had the word 'gringo' directed at me. I have, however, been on the receiving end of a barrage of other racist abuse, including being deliberately thrown off a moving bus, broken glass being thrown at me and having the family car vandalized. There seems to be quite a bit of prejudice against British people here. I think some of it is because the locals feel we are helping to price them out of the housing market.

User Detail :  

Name : Letty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jade
    The English in southern Spain are disliked because many come on holidays to southern spain to excape the cold. Especially in Barcelona and Ibiza groups of Drunk English men sit on the beach or Bars and abuse the other people. Also many bars and resturants have been turned into British pubs. When i was holidaying in Ibiza, I was in the airport and overheard British tourists complaining about everything. I asked a woman who works there and she says it happens every flight and most of them are ungreatful and treat the staff very badly. While i was there I was walking past a bar to go to the beach and a group of young english men yelled obsene comments and pinched me on the butt, well they were very suprised by the fact that i turned around and yelled at them in English for being such pigs.

User Detail :  

Name : Jade, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Spanish, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper class, 

Kathy
    It is a racial slur. I have been called that before too. Don't put up with it. Tell the racist he is a racist and if you are expected to not use slurs against him he shouldn't use them against you.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Fresno, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Kathy
    If when older white people say negro and it considered a slur when it wasn't intended that way, why do others get away with it? Why make excuses? Why poie fun at the 'old white racists' when their intentions were not bad at all? Gringo may be used the way you say, but I can assure you that when you are called gringo in some parts of LA they mean 'foreigner' who should leave the l;and they used to live on before white people came.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Fresno, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.