Grading Eddie Murphy and The PJ’s

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

D-Meerkat
    Participant
    What do black people think about the Eddie Murphy show The PJ's? There has been a lot of controversy over it and discussion in various entertainment-related magazines. I feel it is very funny and that it has a lot of creativity, both in the writing and animation.
    Original Code R636. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Meerkat, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Vancouver, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, 

S.s.
    I think the show, of course, stereotypes blacks. I have never lived like that. Not to put down anyone who has. But, then that is what comedians do. They take stereotypes and make them funny. The only sad part is that blacks are portrayed so much in that way that I believe (not scientific) that contributes to the way in which America sees us. If we (Americans) could take humor for what it is and not stereotype I think these type of shows would be great. But to answer your question I rarely watch the show because that type of humor is not funny to me. Maybe it's because I can't relate to a lot of it. The people in those situations are usually (I think) the ones who can relate.

User Detail :  

Name : S.s., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student/Admin Assist., Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dawn
    Participant
    I think that show will appeal to white americans more than african americans. Showing black people in ghettos, poor, and acting a fool gets on our nerves,but apparently it doesn't bother white people. I wonder why?

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Greenville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rashidah
    By making fun of social inhibitions,we as pepolpe have been able to cope with the prejudices of race,sex and handicaps. The PJ's illustates the life of some African American's economical disavantages, not all. If people feel that a show like The PJ's demeans or misrepresents the African American race, then Caucasians should feel the same way about Buffy or Sex in The City. If we simply broadcasted the perfect lives of any race, realism would be distant to us. If Blacks were being made fun of on the show, then I would be aapauled by the content of the PJ's.

User Detail :  

Name : Rashidah, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : Jersey city, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Graham21537
    Participant
    I used to love watching the pj's with Eddie Murphy because I just thought it was the most funniest show ever made, but I can understand how some people might view it as racist because of certain stereo types. I am upper middle class but I'm still in touch with people below my economic status, for example my grandmother who I often visit who lives in the 3rd ward area or 'the ghetto' of our city and im reguarly over there and some things from the pj's do happen in that part of town with the crime and poverty and so on, but personaly I know the NAACP has canceled it now but they should have kept it on the air in my opinion at least

User Detail :  

Name : Graham21537, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.