Gold teeth reflection of status?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Melissa T.
    Participant
    Why do African Americans wear gold teeth? Is it to reflect that they have money?

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa T., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    I don't think gold teeth are a status symbol but just a style that's popular among a certain demgraphic of black folk: Young, mostly Southern hip hop fans and those characterized as being 'hood'. Mostly in the poorer or lower-class black areas in the South they are common.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    It's absolutely about flaunting wealth, the same as wearing 97 ugly-ass gold rope chains as thick as a toddler's wrist - at least three of which must have a pendant the size of a bumper sticker, pave'd in diamonds, dangling from them - and driving a black Hummer H2 with every option available while wearing ill-fitting designer 'gangsta' clothes.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jack19633
    Participant
    I have no idea why we wear gold teeth. I guess it's a form of expression that allows some to look different. I think it is no different than spiked hair, green and purple Mohawks or a mullet. My father has had gold teeth for as long as I can remember and so do a lot of his friends. I read that in Europe they thought gold or silver teeth prevented several diseases.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack19633, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Johnson, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adele
    Participant
    I think you are watching to many rap videos. I am a black woman and not one of my friends, family members or their family members wear gold teeth. We can ask the same of whites - why do so many wear veneers instead of their real teeth>

User Detail :  

Name : Adele, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : PhiladelphiA, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Sheri R.
    Participant
    The gold teeth are another form of adornment, just like any other piece of jewelry. It is something people saw someone famous wearing and so they copied it. You could say it's to reflect status because they cost so much but it is honestly just something people copy from seeing it in the media. It's no different than when whites put on the latest fashion worn by some starlett or other famous person. Why else would they walk around with their mid-drifts showing all the time if they hadn't seen famous girls on TV doing the same?

User Detail :  

Name : Sheri R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 41, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine19592
    Participant
    It's really not money, just a stupid style. And If your question is why African Americans wear gold teeth, then my question is Why do white suburbanite punk rockers think it's cool to plaster thier bodies with tattoos? Is it to reflect that they are artistic? Because some of them are ignorant to what it means to look proper in today's society. Some of them are too young, too undereducated to understand that what's on T.V and what multi-million dollar entertainers do they wouldn't even let their own children do. And by the way, just as not all white suburbanites who are punk rockers get tattooed from head to toe, not all African Americans wear gold teeth.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19592, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : na, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sherry19594
    Participant
    The gold teeth trend is regional. If you ever happen to venture west of the Rocky Mountains, you will notice that none of the black people are wearing gold teeth. I was raised in California where gold teeth are taboo. The very few African-American people who sported gold teeth were born and raised in the Southeast before relocating to the West Coast.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry19594, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Mike19600
    Participant
    Gold teeth are probably worn by people who think that gold teeth look good, like people who wear earrings and other jewelry to look good.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike19600, Gender : M, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Michael
    Participant
    It's just a stupid trend that will fade with time. Basically, if you have a grill, people will immediately assume that you are somebody (ie, a famous rapper).

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 36, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Marie
    Participant
    Earlier this year I went back to the US to visit my family. There I saw a white kid sporting his 'grill'. He looked just as ridiculous as everyone else who wears them.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Alex
    Participant
    it all really boils down to 1 thing. and thats to get attention.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex, City : atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.