God created evil?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

binh bui
    Since I left college I don't know anyone of faith (all my friends are agnostic or don't like to speak about religion). My question: In order for something to exist, God must allow/create it. God is absolute good, yet evil exists, so therefore God created evil. How is this reconciled or answered in the Bible, or otherwise?

User Detail :  

Name : binh bui, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I tend to think there is no division between the forces of good and evil. Ask yourself 'Where is the line?' Hence, the forces of evil and good are one force combined. If anyone could answer my question, please do so.

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Arlington, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

CP19183
    Participant
    To my understanding, this is how Christian theologians tend to answer the question of what is known as 'the problem of evil': God created humans with free will because he wanted us to serve him freely and not just be robots, so we are free to serve him and choose to do good or not to serve him and do evil. Evil exists because humans have free will and have chosen to do evil. If God had created humans without free will, we would just be automatons and would not be capable of real happiness, love and union with God. Free will means we have the capacity to do great good as well as great evil. How good or evil can a rock be? (I recommend the book The Problem of Pain by C.S.Lewis.)

User Detail :  

Name : CP19183, Age : 21, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Religious Studies student, 

Michael20684
    Participant
    God created Lucifer with free will. Lucifer chose to rebel, and is therefore the creator of evil. My own view rejects philosophical dualism, extrapolating from the fact that such dualities as heat/cold, light/dark, etc., and possibly, chaos/order are the result of the human nervous system: different nerves detect temps below and above some value; cones work in bright light, rods in dark.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20684, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Cal23851
    Participant
    I understand the concept of free will and the evil that men do. What I don't understand is, if God is all good, all powerful, and all knowing, how do you explain the evil things that God created just to torment us? Why do we have earthquakes, tornados, etc. Why do we have biting insects and parasites? It would be easy to understand if these things only afflicted bad people,but they seem to hit good people and innocent people too.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal23851, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Lakewood, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.