Give a white liberal a break!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Justin26853
    Participant
    Why do some blacks have a problem with guilty white liberals? Aren't they better than racist white conservaties?

User Detail :  

Name : Justin26853, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Denise
    Participant
    I am not a liberal in the Western sense, and I don't agree with most of the liberal agenda. I think this liberal thing has gone too far left field.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Follower of Jesus, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/housewife, Education level : Technical School, 

TR24207
    Participant
    'Guilty white liberals' are viewed with suspicion because their empathy is perceived as being something more akin to pity, and their efforts are viewed as patronizing in some situations. 'Guilty white liberals' are the ones who help organize protests against instances of institutionalized racism or other crimes, but then take on the role as spokespeople for the 'poor, helpless oppressed people,' making the people they're advocating feel powerless and resentful. In addition, because they see themselves as the good guys, it's hard to tell the 'guilty white liberals' to back off a little and let someone else speak. I don't know if 'guilty white liberals' actually exist, but some people are viewed as such and thus fulfill this role, to the chagrin of others.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24207, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Greg P.
    I'm offended by your term 'racist white conservaties.' Are you assuming or implying that those who are white and conservative are also racist? I am white and conservative, but I am not racist.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carlotta19243
    Participant
    I think the problem could be that your guilt is preventing you from being able to treat black people the same way you would treat anyone else. Try to see black people as individuals, rather than members of a race.

User Detail :  

Name : Carlotta19243, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Social class : Middle class, 

Anne23864
    Participant
    In my experience, 'white liberals' are ususally so busy empathizing that they actually reinforce racial stereotypes. It is difficult to have a conversation with a white liberal about racism, particularly institutional racism, because they immediately go on the defensive. After all, they are not racist, right?

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23864, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : African-Caribbean, Age : 31, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

John Smith
    Participant
    So if I am a white conservative, then automatically I am racist huh? Sorry, but the true racists are the white liberals who don't believe that blacks have the strength or intelligence to make it on their own without Whitey's help. The definition of a racist is someone who believes that their race is superior to others. If you as a white liberal think that blacks can't survive without you, then what does that make you? Think about it, then quit being condescending toward blacks. They don't need your help. Listen to the words of Frederick Douglass, a former slave and civil rights pioneer: 'In regard to the colored people, there is always more that is benevolent, I perceive, than just, manifested towards us. What I ask for the Negro is not benevolence, not pity, not sympathy, but simply justice. The American people have always been anxious to know what they shall do with us ... I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are worm-eaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall! ... And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone! ... Your interference is doing him positive injury.'

User Detail :  

Name : John Smith, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.