Girls with glasses: what’s the prob?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Tracy
    I have been wearing glasses for quite some time and am not a candidate for laser surgery, and I'm sick of the negative stereotype of women who wear glasses. Watch any movie or TV show with an 'ugly girl,' and I guarantee she'll wear glasses or be overweight, sometimes both. In real life, people see women who wear glasses as ultra-intellectual, bookish, reserved, Puritanical and very plain and boring. Why is this? I got a lot more attention from men when I was wearing contact lenses between age 16 and 26, but now that I am a 'speccy git,' I am virtually ignored. I am the same woman, but now it's obvious I'm blind as a bat. I'd appreciate any opinions about society's stereotype of women with glasses.

User Detail :  

Name : Tracy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spiritual but not religious, Age : 30, City : Edmond, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Electronic Banking Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    I don't see a problem with women having glasses. I've seen plenty of women that look good with glasses. (Now if they are where those old and big looking glasses then that's a different story.) Seriously, if they are attractive then the glasses won't make a difference.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Zeke
    Participant
    I believe you are correct in the stereotype assumption, but to me a woman with nice eyes who wears fashionable glasses is incredibly attractive. I think it's the assumption that she is intelligent on first glance (maybe because of the stereotype!). True, an attractive bimbo can put on some specs and look good, but you'd find out the truth as soon as you had a conversation. So don't fret, there are people who appreciate the look.

User Detail :  

Name : Zeke, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Auburn Hills, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Alex J.
    Participant
    I find glasses to be very enticing. They draw attention to the face and highlight the eyes, while also obscuring the face ever so slightly. Given that the face has been repeatedly surveyed as women's most attractive feature, and that the eyes form the focus of the face, it constantly surprises me that more men don't like glasses much. I would suggest the problem is that the frames you have are unbecoming on you. For some reason, whenever you go in for a new prescription, the doctor gives you the drops that make your pupils expand for the next two hours BEFORE you choose frames, and so you can't see very well when selecting said frames. Next time ask to pick out your frames first.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 17, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : High School student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Doug25656
    Participant
    Dorothy Parker notwithstanding, I don't think any of those things about girls in glasses. Case in point: I'm gay, but Elizabeth Hurley as the schoolteacher in Bedazzled was HOT! From my teenaged Playboy reading, it seems to be a very common fantasy to unleash the wild woman inside the 'ultra-intellectual, bookish, reserved, Puritanical and very plain and boring' woman. Perhaps your glasses don't suit your face. I have noticed a trend in eyewear: younger folks tend toward smaller lenses and frames (even 'frameless') while older folks select HUGE Charles-Nelson-Reilly Match Game 1978 lenses which cover their eyes from brow to cheek. The right eyewear can really change your appearance. Where would Sally Jesse be without her signature red frames? I would encourage you to revisit your eye doctor. Take a girlfriend or two along with you and get their perspective. Try to put the 'fun' back in Functional.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug25656, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 39, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Administrator, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JerryS
    Participant
    I grew up in a family where everyone (at least all of the adults) wore glasses, yet I have to confess that a woman tends to look more attractive to me without glasses - IF she has a pretty face to begin with. It isn't a big difference, but I think it has to do with the fact that glasses obscure the eyes and interrupt the contours of the face and hair. Despite this, when my wife started to wear glasses, my first impression was not that she looked less attractive, but that she now looked 'normal' to me.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Serene28058
    Participant
    Perhaps you are letting your negativity 'color' your vision. I don't pay much attention to movie stereotypes. I wore glasses from the time I was nine and switched to contacts at 19. I love the new lighter lenses for people with heavy prescriptions. I did hate the old heavy frame and glasses, but now I now wear my contacts and glasses interchangably and notice no difference in the attention. I am still the same person with or without glasses. How do you feel and look in your glasses to YOU? If you feel confident, sexy, attractive and attention-worthy, then you are. Trust me, I prefer being able to see when a person is flirting or paying attention to me, rather than seeing something fuzzy. It's all about attitude. Haven't you ever twirled the stem of your glasses flirtatiously or clamped them between you teeth? Drives men wild. My feeling is, throw those negative sterotypes out of your mind, get a couple pair of dynamite glasses that really complement you and enjoy yourself. See and be seen!

User Detail :  

Name : Serene28058, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Chandler, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Business Owner, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter P.
    I think wearing glasses may make you more attractive, depending on how you look to begin with. I know a girl who looks really attractive, but when she wears glasses, she looks 'older.' Another girl I know looks just as attractive whether wearing glasses or not. A third girl I know looks more attractive when she's wearing her glasses. I think looking attractive in glasses may also depend on the frames. My mother wears glasses I think look horrible: They are a pair of thick, gigantic, bug-eyed lenses with a huge plastic frame. I keep telling her to get a different pair, but she insists she needs giant, thick glasses.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Deya25719
    Participant
    and I can actually relate with what the original topic has to say. When I wore contacts my sophomore year of high school, I must admit I got a lot more attention from the opposite sex than I do now with my 'weezer' thick framed glasses. (If you know the band, you know what kind of glasses...think Buddy Holly for those you unaware of the weez.) Glasses just dont seem to attract many, and if they do, well I guess they are just to shy to come say anything!

User Detail :  

Name : Deya25719, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 20, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : Venezuela, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ashley23508
    Participant
    Make sure your glasses fit your face and make a statment. Glasses are in style right now it can top of an outfit if you know what looks good. I hate big glasses with the gold or colerd frames but I love the cute black frames the makes a statment that you have glasses and not afraid to flaunt it!

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley23508, City : miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

D31854
    Participant
    In response to the person who was saying some people wear glasses that are too big, I wanted to say that some people really do need to wear glasses that thick. Generally, the worse the person's vision is, the thicker the lenses need to be, and if you have thick lenses, you need frames that are thick enough to hold the lenses. I am someone who is extremely nearsighted, without my glasses I can't see anything more than a few inches from my eyes. I am literally blind without my glasses. There are some people like myself whose vision is so bad that they need thick lenses. However, I get ultra-feather lights, so they don't overwhelm my face, but they are still thicker than average. But those kind of lenses are expensive and not everyone can afford them, and there probably are people out there with even worse vision than mine. Wearing thick lenses and thick frames is usually not a choice, but a necessity.

User Detail :  

Name : D31854, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Chris
    I like glasses on women. I know that the popular stereotype says otherwise - they're weird/fat/abnormal, whatever. But these come from TV. If you look to TV for role models, then you have a bigger problem than wearing glasses. In all fairness I must admit that I am a computer geek and wear reading glasses (and I'm cute, too). I use glasses to my advantage, too: I wear them on job interviews to look 'smarter'.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : B, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer geek, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

john29660
    Participant
    I think wearing a paper bag on your head can make you look more attrative, depending on how you look to begin with. I think having your head chopped off can make you look more attractive, depending on how you look to begin with. I think poring gasoline on yourself and lighting a match can make you look more attractive, DEPENDING ON HOW YOU LOOK TO BEGIN WITH??? Just don't let the flames go out, because smoking is SO unnattractive.

User Detail :  

Name : john29660, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 20, City : serious, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : couch potatoe, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.