Girls: Why do you hate Britney?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

David
    Participant
    I'm a big fan of Britney Spears' music, and being a guy (especially at my age), I find it hard to convince girls that it's NOT her looks that make me a fan. She's a great singer and dancer, and she hasn't let fame go to her head. I've noticed there are a lot of girls who don't seem to have anything nice to say about her. Many times I've heard her called a 'talentless slut with fake boobs.' And this type of negativity isn't limited to those who don't like pop music: I've even heard 'NSync fans put down Britney. I'm interested in hearing from the type of girl described here. What is it about Britney that you hate?

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Slidell, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Essence
    Participant
    I am gonna be blunt and say it like this: Britney Spears cannot, I repeat cannot, sing. The girl can dance - I give her that, but you must realize, and I am not sure if you have ever gone to one of her concerts, but she lip-syncs, and she needs all of the studio equipment she can get to make a hit. Shall we compare her to someone who is well-rounded, such as Aaliyah? Aaliyah does not need studio equpiment to make her voice sound better, and she can dance just as well or even better than Britney. Just because you are a fan, that doesn't mean you must hide from the truth. Yes, Britney is pretty and everything, but she is nothing compared to Brandy, Aaliyah, or even Christina A.

User Detail :  

Name : Essence, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Goleta, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Rackula30208
    Participant
    I would have to agree with the first response. The melody may be catchy to teens (which were written by whom?), but moaning into a microphone does not make you a singer. Listen to the difference between her and Christina Whoseherface. I am no fan of either, but I am a fan of talent, and I have to be objective. Moaning in a one-octave range and singing are two different things. Be objective for one minute, then assess. It is impossible for an intelligent ear to say that Britney's best asset is singing. Do yourself a favor and listen to something more stimulating. It would do you a world of good.

User Detail :  

Name : Rackula30208, Gender : F, Age : 30, City : anywhere, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : chef, 

Mel W.
    Participant
    I am a girl, and I don't hate Britney Spears. I don't think she can sing, and I don't like her taste in clothes, and I reject cheesy pop on principle anyway, but I do actually admire Spears in a way. She's taken what she can do - perform very well - and focused on that, using her flashy, skimpy clothes and less-than-cerebral public persona to distract from the fact that she can't sing and doesn't have very good songs written for her. That may not be right, but it is very smart, and if I could get away with it, I probably would.

User Detail :  

Name : Mel W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Gunnison, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kris26231
    Participant
    Most women think Britney Spears is just so MANUFACTURED. She is obviously talented, but so are many young women who get no recognition. She really has no hitch that keeps her where she is except being produced to sound and look exactly like what will gain popularity and money. The sad part of it is that there is so much that goes into making her look and sound like that. It is not Britney Spears herself that keeps her cashing in. You are experiencing the hard work of many individuals: choreographers, stylists, producers and many other artistic professionals, who have created 'Britney Spears.' Bottom line: I think more and more people are realizing in this new decade that fake is not cool. Britney probably is a nice girl who jumped on the bandwagon to fame like anyone else would (myself included) given the opportunity to become a celebrity, but oodles of talent she ain't got! Practically anyone can stand in the shower and sing like that through their nose; go to any club and you can find a dancer just as good - and any mall a girl as cute with the help of a make-up artist.

User Detail :  

Name : Kris26231, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Wharton, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : self-employed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jen30997
    Participant
    Britney Spears's songs are cute and catchy, and she dances well, but she sounds like she's injured and crying for help. She's apparently never had a voice lesson in her life, because she sounds like she's holding her nose when she sings, resulting in that dreadful nasal drone that seems to pass for singing to her fans. One of the first things you learn in a voice lesson is to open your throat and breathe from your diaphragm when singing, because otherwise it results in exactly the sort of poor vocal quality she produces on every song. I occasionally find myself tapping my foot to her beat, not because of her voice but despite it. It's all well and good if she's down to earth and kind and pretty and sweet and all that, but being the sweetest person in the world does not make you a good singer.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen30997, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 24, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Esbita
    Participant
    Largely it's a matter of music taste. I like rock music (especially grunge), or Classical music. Creed, Nirvana, Radiohead, STP, Pearl Jam, etc. I hate the Backstreet Boys or N'Sync. I despise Britney Spears and Christina Aquliera, though the latter actually has some talent. I don't like the style, but to each their own. My beef with Britney is her performance style; it's disgusting. When I first saw the 'Baby one more time' video I was appalled.

User Detail :  

Name : Esbita, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Valparaiso, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Meg
    Participant
    I used to be one of those girls who 'hated' her, but I don't anymore. I think I was just jealous of the attention she gets from guys. I see her as a little fake and princess-like, and she's not the type of person I'd get along with. She knows what she's got, and really flaunts it. It wouldn't bother me as much if she'd stop trying to seem 'innocent.' She's an excellent dancer with a pretty nice body (I mean, at least she HAS a body, unlike size 0 Christina Aguilera). When girls say they hate her, it's mainly out of jealousy.

User Detail :  

Name : Meg, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Modesto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Library Page/Assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

H21400
    Participant
    I don't 'hate' Britney spears, although I can't stand her music. She has a good body, and she dances well, but while her music is catchy, it is so very irritating because her voice is a nasal whine. I also find her incredibly hypocritical as she spouts all that crap about not having sex before marraige, and then goes on to dance in such a provocative way. I don't hate her, I just think she's a bit foolish.

User Detail :  

Name : H21400, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Aberdeen, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Anne23854
    Participant
    She says she's so insecure about her body, but yet she goes on national TV wearing almost nothing at all. I know Christina and Jennifer Lopez are a lot like her but they don't try to come off as innocent. It just reinforces the notion of women as sex objects with the clothes and sexy dancing.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23854, Gender : F, Age : 18, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Angela24951
    Participant
    I don't understand how anyone who has ever heard music before can think Britney Spears can sing. She cannot. She sounds like a screeching cat. And I think most girls can't stand her just because of how ridiculous she is. She talks about being wholesome and being a role model, but then goes on MTV nearly naked with a snake around her neck dancing like a stripper in heat.

User Detail :  

Name : Angela24951, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Wilmington, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Corporate America drone, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I don't hate Britney...what I hate is the way the music industry hands out recording contracts to no-talent bimbos, while the REAL talented voices get no recognition. If Britney had a voice like Whitney's, or Christina's, or Pink's, or Mary J Blige, she'd be perfect. Simply and gently put...Britney cannot sing a note...a cat in heat has a better voice than Britney.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael20659
    Participant
    I don't hate her, as I don't know her and I'm sure she's not a bad person, but... ...she can't sing to save her life! Her pitching is terrible, and it sounds like she has no power at all in her voice (i.e. she sings from the throat to get a particular sounds rather than sing in the conventional manner).

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20659, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Data analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.