Ghosts bad, God OK: Why?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Justin26871
    Participant
    Why do so many rational and reasonable people rightly assume people who believe in ghosts are superstitious lunatics, but then go to church and worship 'the holy ghost' so that their 'eternal souls' may be spared from going to hell in the 'afterlife'?

User Detail :  

Name : Justin26871, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lucy22454
    Participant
    When the Christians were initially spreading their religion throughout Europe, the people of that region already had religions of their own - generally referred to as Pagan religions. One of the strategies used to convince people to convert to Christianity was to discount the existing religious practices by calling them evil, silly or crazy. Many of the Pagan religions believed in ghosts and that the spirits of their ancestors occasionally come back to our world. Near Halloween is the Pagan new year, when it is believed the division between our world and the spirit world is lifted and spirits can come back to visit us. It is interesting to note that the pre-European people in Mexico believed the same thing - even though there is no proof of contact between them and pre-Christian Europeans.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22454, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kate
    For people who are religious (something not in my nature), maybe they need to latch onto something to believe. It is easier, I suppose, to believe in a formal religion with lots of social support. Maybe it is like imprinting a duckling, and has to happen at the right time in development. By the way, I don't think most people are as extreme in their opinion of ghost-believers as you imply.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I have no idea whether ghosts exist, but I find it offensive that you have unilaterally decided and announced that those who believe in them are lunatics. What happens to a person's soul/spirit/essential self after the body dies is something that has been pondered for millennia and will go on being pondered. Science tells us that matter and energy don't cease to exist but change form. I'm not so arrogant that I pretend to know how the energy that makes up a person's essential self changes at the death of the body. The possibility that this energy can remain in some form is not something I rule out. If someone has a different opinion from you, that doesn't make them a lunatic, it just means they have a different opinion.

User Detail :  

Name : Trust no manager, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I, too, am an atheist and believe in a variety of things. I do believe in ghosts, but not in God. I think people who have such a double standard with the 'supernatural,' since that is essentially what we are dealing with, have one because they are afraid. They seem to feel that ghosts are unsettled souls and are roaming the 'earth' in search of peace. But hey, isn't God all-present as well? Come on people, if you believe in one, believe in 'em all!

User Detail :  

Name : Grant McKee, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa L.
    Participant
    We believe that when people die, their spirits go to Heaven to be with God if they are born again (believe that Jesus Christ was crucified for our sins and rose from the dead), or they go to Hell (Hades) if they rejected the free gift of salvation. Their spirits do not roam around on the earth. So, if someone sees Great Aunt Jane walking around, we know it ain't her! It could be an evil spirit impersonating her, as we do believe in a spirit world of angels and demons.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa L., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 22, City : Bringhurst, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Augustine23379
    Participant
    I am a Catholic Christian and most emphatically believe in ghosts. I believe they are souls in purgatory, waiting to get into heaven but hindered because they had some kind of attachment here on earth that keeps them 'stuck in between' for a time. For me, the 'spirit world' is very real, and in that I would include angels, Christ's presence at the Mass, and even daily prayer. I have never seen a ghost (i.e. spirit) but have 'experienced' them, you might say, and do not feel in the least threatened by this. I feel kind of sorry for people who do not have this mystical element in their lives.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23379, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jane
    You stated 'I do believe in ghosts, but not in God.' but then at the end said 'Come on people, if you believe in one, believe in 'em all!' How could you be so contradictory. Maybe you should try using this site for what it is and open your mind and 'believe in 'em all!'

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Apistolic, Age : 17, City : Morehead City, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Phil30410
    Participant
    I don't know whether this answers your question, but I am reliably informed (by a Catholic priest) that the Catholic Church still employs exorcists. It's not fashionable to shout about it these 'enlightened' days, though.

User Detail :  

Name : Phil30410, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 27, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

alex
    Participant
    Lots of people contradict themselves. Whole religions a lot of times. I dont understand how seeing an angel differs from seeing a ghost (good or bad). I live in Galveston, TX. You would have to be silly not to believe there are ghosts in this town. I also think that a part of the human mind automatically rejects some things because it is more comforting that way. If we believed in everything we saw, we would be in pretty bad shape. Oh wait...

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

J21338
    Participant
    I have no opinion on ghosts, as I have never seen one, but see no reason for them not to be there. Certainly, those in heaven retain contact with those of us still stuck here. However, the Holy Ghost is another name for the Holy Spirit, who is God. God has three persons to him, thus the Blessed Trinity. Since the Blessed Trinity is a mystery, I won't explain that right now. Anyhow, I see nothing wrong with the so called 'lunatics,' and I feel that you should speak rationally before you blast that which you obviously do not understand. There is nothing wrong with politely asking a question.

User Detail :  

Name : J21338, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.