Genetic Disposition for Sexual Orientation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kim-C
    Participant
    I live in a large family. Three of my siblings have come out (one male and two females). All three were married with children and are now divorced and have partners. My husband is getting nervous... Have there been any studies that indicate any genetic link to sexual orientation?

User Detail :  

Name : Kim-C, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Normand-O-L19935
    Participant
    Despite what partisians on both side of the issue feel, there is, as of today, no known genetic cause for homosexuality. Indications are, in fact, that the early years to a large extent determine this aspect of a person's individuality. In my opinion, an overbearing mother, a receding/uncaring father, a failure for a young boy to transfer his identity from his mother to his father all help to bring about this condition. In addition, in today's culture, there is the added permissiveness to explore.

User Detail :  

Name : Normand-O-L19935, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanic, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mark B.
    Participant
    I used the Excite search engine to look up "Sexual Orientation, Genetic" and came up with a ton of articles. Good place to start.

As far as the old canard about the cause being the absent father/overbearing mother: Forget it. There is no "in fact" to support it. If this were truly the cause of homosexuality, then our numbers would far exceed the much bandied about 10 percent. I had a strong father (military pilot) who was at home for the formative years of my life, and yet I'm gay. He wasn't at home as much for my two older brothers, and one of them is gay. Go figure.

Yes, the debate is still on as to the origins of homosexuality. Scientific studies have been published that lean toward genetics as the root; psychological studies have been definitive in the dubunking of the "mommy" factor. Time, and continued genetic research, will eventually tell. I hope I'm around to hear the answer that I'm already pretty sure of.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Cathedral of Hope - UFMCC, Age : 39, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Financial analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Normand-O-L19937
    Participant
    For those who have made up their minds to questions such as these, there is no profit in discussion. For others with an open mind, I would suggest that their education begin with their own experiences, what is common knowledge about the desire to rationalize questionable behavior and perhaps an effort to learn about "Courage," a Catholic self-help group catering to homosexuals desiring change. This group and others have given aid to those who have desired it. I would caution that public schools have become centers of disinformation in regards to homosexuality.

User Detail :  

Name : Normand-O-L19937, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanic, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.