Gays and sex change operations

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

M.E.
    Participant
    If two males are lovers and one has a complete sex change, does the one who is still male stay with 'her' and live as a straight man, or does he still feel he is with a man and remains homosexual? I hope I asked this properly. I am not trying to offend anyone ... I'm just curious. I have someone close to me who has made the change, but I'm not sure what is proper to ask.

User Detail :  

Name : M.E., Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 37, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : office assistant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
    I am a gay male and have friends who chose to change their gender. It is not so much about the fact of being male or female. There are usually two sides in this situation: One partner plays more of a male role, and one plays more of a female role, and the one who usually plays more of the female role is the one to undergo the sex change. But this is not always true. I would have to say most of the men I have known to undergo this operation have chosen to stay with their partner and consider themselfs still gay. Some men just feel as though they were supposed to be women, and vice versa. It is a really hard subject and is based a lot on the individual.

User Detail :  

Name : Travie2talk, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : Springville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : sudent, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

iteki
    I am not an expert on this and would prefer to see a reply from a member of the Transexual/Transgender community, but ... 'Sex changes' do not happen overnight. Someone doesn't just wake up in the morning and say 'Oh Wait, I am a guy/girl.' The fact of being transgender would exist before the relationship began and would therefore to a certain extent decide the qualities a person would seek in a partner. For example, someone born in a female bod who identifies as a straight male would probably want to date straight girls, so I think that in the example you give, both already have been aware of the situation and the issues relevant to their relationship. Because TG people also are required to live as the gender they really are and take hormones for years in advance of surgery, it is unlikely it could come as a huge surprise to their partner. As for whether they would stay together, that's up to them; it's the person inside you fall in love with, not the outside bits.

User Detail :  

Name : iteki, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Recovering Catholic, Age : 24, City : Stockholm, State : NA Country : Sweden, Social class : Lower middle class, 

bobbie
    I have a close friend who is transgendered and straight. He is 'straight', so this might not clear things up for you, but this explanation made a lot of sense to me: 'I don't like dangly bits. I don't find them attractive on a partner, and I don't find them attractive on myself' I imagine that, if one of a gay couple 'got rid of his bits', it might actually change the relationship dramatically...

User Detail :  

Name : bobbie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : I believe what i believe, Age : 28, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kade-S26977
    Participant
    Some couples stay together during and after one partner's transition. Many do not. When a gay person's partner transitions, the gay person often still identifies as gay although the transsexual partner may now identify as straight. This all applies to female-to-male transsexuality as well as male-to-female transsexuality. One last note: It is considered very offensive to put a transsexual person's name or pronouns in quote marks. Having had a terrible birth defect that trapped them in the wrong body for years and years does not make them any less real women (in the case of MTFs) or real men (in the case of FTMs).

User Detail :  

Name : Kade-S26977, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : Jersy City, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.