Gay and Christian: How can that be?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Mark Bentley
    Participant
    Go back and read your Bible. You have been told that the Bible condemns homosexuality; go back and read the verses. For example, Leviticus, 18:22 and 20:13. You think because the Bible says it, it must be law. Have you really read all of Leviticus? If so, you know that you are not following the law, and as such, you are not a 'true' Christian. The sin of Sodom, per the 'true' Christian's reading, is homosexuality. Read Ezekiel, 16:49-50, Matthew, 10: 14-15 and Luke, 10:7-16. Hmmm. Unless you can say that you faithfully follow each and every law that Leviticus lays out, don't accuse gay Christians of rationalizing their belief/faith. My experience has been that most gay-baiting Christians who come into Oak Lawn to save us lost sheep can't withstand more than five minutes of detailed Bible reading before they give up and look for someone more vulnerable. Faith is not an absolute - remember that Christ is the PERSONAL savior for all, not the GENERIC savior. My vision of and belief in God is just as real as yours, even if it is different from yours. Check out http://www.whosoever.org/index.html for further reading on the subject.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark Bentley, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : UFMCC - Cathedral of Hope, Age : 39, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Financial analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

CP19372
    Participant
    Based on what I learned in my Religion and Sexuality class, here is my response: Some people interpret Genesis 18-19 differently. (I wrote out an alternative interpretation, but deleted it because it was so long.) Many people think that in previous centuries, society had no conception of homosexuality (or even sexuality) as such. They thought that a person performs sexual acts from time to time, whereas today we understand that sexuality is a part of a person's identity (irregardless of acts... even a celibate person has a sexuality). Unlike most people today, they did not think a person could BE homosexual. Gay Christians do not see why God would hold against them something that is part of their identity, something that they were born with, anymore than he would hold it against a woman for being born a woman.

User Detail :  

Name : CP19372, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 22, City : Montreal, Quebec,, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, 

Jared
    Knowing that homosexuality is in many instances deemed immoral in the Bible, how can a gay person be a true Christian? Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for reasons of sexual immorality and perversion (homosexuality, bestiality, premarital sex, etc.), so how can a gay person claim to be a Christian with this knowledge in mind? Christians are not perfect, but in our daily walk, we continually make the effort to be as good as possible. A true Christian would eliminate homosexuality from his or her life in order to have a true relationship with Christ. So how do gay people rationalize this?

User Detail :  

Name : Jared, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Baton Rouge, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Executive office clerk, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Michael P.
    Participant
    This space for rent (because for some intolerant reason Yforum has not posted a single message of mine).

User Detail :  

Name : Michael P., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 23, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Murray-C20214
    Participant
    There is No God, so don't worry about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Murray-C20214, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Halifax, Nova Scotia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Draftsman, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    Jared, did not Jesus say that He came to give us a new law ? And when he did that, he didn't mention homosexuality. Not once. That doesn't mean the old law was necessarily supplanted, but his silence on homosexuality is a sign that it can't have been that important. When Paul, in the New Testament, mentions homosexuality, it is as a punishment, rather than a sin, which may indicate something about his inner feelings. Remember too, that the Old Testament also condemns usury and such things as the eating of shellfish and wearing clothing woven of two different fibres. Yet Christianity has moved beyond trying to enforce these edicts. So get thee behind me, Satan, in thy gabardine and polyester weave slacks . . .

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Public servant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Laura-O
    Participant
    Jesus himself said that all we needed was to love God, and love our neighbors as ourselves. The message of Christianity is tolerance and love, not judging and pointing fingers and saying, 'I'm a better Christian because I don't do what you do.' It seems to me that people who do that commit their own special sin - the sin of arrogance, presuming to know the mind of God. Who are any of us to decide that we have a better chance of going to heaven than anyone else?

User Detail :  

Name : Laura-O, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Bel Air, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/writer/editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Victor C.
    Homosexuals don't need to rationalize being a christian. There are two steps to being a christian.1) Accept Christ into your heart. 2)Believe that christ died to forgive your sins. Being a good christian takes a little bit of work though. 1) See the bad things that you do. 2)Become conscous every time you do something that jesus taght you not to do. 3) Begin to slowly take the bad actions from your life. If it takes ayear for you to stop swearing but you work at it and evetually do you are being a good christian. 4) After eliminating the action Eliminate the words. 5) After this you still not finished you must begin to eliminate wrong thoughts. No one can become a perfect christian that is why we put our trust in christ.

User Detail :  

Name : Victor C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Utica, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Highschool Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Rachel30196
    Participant
    Well, if you are a Christian then you know that being so means that you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Through the Christian belief, it is through Christ that we are saved. So, someone who is gay can be a Christian by that deffinition. God loves us all unconditionaly, we are all sinners, yet Christ died for our sins. Do I think that homosexuality is a sin? Yes, just as the bible says that you are to save sex for marriage, it also says that man should not lay with another man as he would a women. Homosexuality is clearly stated as a sin in the bible. People often act as though that sin is worse than the ones we commit in our daily lives, but in truth we are only fooling ourselves. God knows are hearts. Though we are all sinners, if you are truely saved and want to live your life for Christ, then you should try not to sin and to be as christ-like in your daily life as possible. One diffrence in sexuality is that it is considered a lifestyle, but if you are a Christian, you would know that it is an evil lifestyle and should change. People also think it is ok and acceptable to have sex outside of marriage, but it isn't. In the end, your sins are not what determine whether you will go to heaven or not, it is your faith, and your heart.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel30196, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

J. Allen
    'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.' No sin is greater than the next. We are not to judge. We will all have to answer for our OWN sins.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Allen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Office Assistant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Elizabeth C.
    Participant
    First of all, there's absolutely no evidence that the Sodom and Gommorah story had anything to do with homosexuality. The subject is too complex to squeeze into this posting, but if you'd like details for why not, feel free to email me at 'TrewqazX@aol.com' and I'll talk your ear off. Leviticus condemns the act of homosexual sex, not homosexuality per se, so a homosexual that practices abstinence breaks no law in that sense. In the New Testament Paul condemns many things that Jesus never seemed to worry about. Many liberal church leaders consider Paul's writings to be reflective mostly of his time period rather than of Christian truth. While Jesus came to save the world, Paul came to start a social/religious organization. The two activities require different skills. Certain rules had to be made for the early Christian church to survive, that does not mean that those rules need necessarily apply to Christian churches today.

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Mansfield, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

S
    Remember God loves everyone, right, wrong, or indifferent, and I recently did a report on legalizing/recognizing gay marriages. I am straight but I think It really isn't a religious issue about one's sexuality. Just because a person likes anal sex rather than 'the normal way' or with a person of the same sex, doesn't mean they cannot be considered christian. The point is is that if a gay person loves God, that's all that should matter. There are some priests who are gay too.

User Detail :  

Name : S, Age : 19, City : snyder, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Joshua Oreskovich
    Participant
    Actually thery probably left because it also saysdont throw pearls at swine...this of course is a biblical term... Let me make it clear LOL The bible is the living word of God how much more 'law' do you need? I understand your plight though...i LOVE smoking pot so i justified smoking it because it didnt actually say not to.. but we both knowthat it is against the law and that the bible does say that we are susposed to follow all governing authorities...(so i dont do it as much anymore..=)) but we both know it is wrong... dont try and justify something that is BLATANTLY something you KNOW you are not susposed to do.... Here it comes...=) In LKeviticus it states Homosexual actsare an abomination...seems simple enough eh?...That of course doesnt make loving someone of same sex wrong..but it is the act of 'homosexual contact' that is wrong ...heh try reading in groups sometimes reading by yourself you can 'miss' crucial info you need to live a happy unpersecuted by homophobes life...=)

User Detail :  

Name : Joshua Oreskovich, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed...=), Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

chris
    Ok this is going to be confusing but how can I get my uncle to like girls again. He has been through 2 marriages and both left him with nothing. Now he is a good man was in the marines but after the 2 divorces he tried dating women but he ended up falling for a guy. Now he believes the Lord is real and he worships him but I know being gay is wrong and I want him to be in heaven with me when the time comes that he dies. He has been a role model and I have always looked up to him but I don't approve of his lifestyle if you can give me advice e-mail me at horn_in_hole@yahoo.com

User Detail :  

Name : chris, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : reatil & student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.