Funny-smelling urine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tom-T
    Participant
    So my girlfriend and I were wondering: why do certain foods like Honey Smacks and asparagus make your urine smell funny?

User Detail :  

Name : Tom-T, Gender : M, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Certain foods, drinks and drugs can give urine a distinct odor and/or color because of chemical reactions. Taking a lot of B vitamins will turn your urine bright yellow-orange. Taking Mucinex for several days due to a cold made my urine smell very much like mown grass. Eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc.) has given my urine a greenish tint and an odd, garlicky smell. It's all chemistry, baby.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Danny
    Participant
    When my son was a toddler he opened one of those 'child proof' bottles and ate the entire bottle of Flintstone's Chewable Vitamins with iron. He peed bright orange for over a week.

User Detail :  

Name : Danny, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : asatru, Age : 42, City : carbon hill, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Karen-J
    Participant
    An odiferous compound is formed as a derivative during digestion and subsequent breakdown of beneficial amino acids that occur naturally in asparagus.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen-J, Gender : F, City : Ponte Vedra Beach, State : FL Country : United States, 

Jane
    Asparagus is high in purines, which raise the level of uric acid in the urine, causing the distinctive smell. Since I don't eat junk food, I don't know what ingredient in Honey Smacks causes a funny smell.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Age : 65, City : St. Simons Island, State : GA Country : United States, 

JasonS
    Your urine is basically how your body filters out things that were digested, made it into your bloodstream, were present in too high a proportion, and can't be stored. I'd be willing to bet that if you only eat a little asparagus, you don't notice much, but if you eat a lot, the smell gets pretty strong. A food that has a lot of some thing that your body doesn't need or doesn't usually get will be pretty prone to doing this. Generally, though, eat enough of anything and it'll affect your urine's smell noticably. Body odor too.

User Detail :  

Name : JasonS, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Bloomington, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.