Eating disorders and young females

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Heidi
    Why are eating disorders taking over the young, female population? Why is there no known cure?

User Detail :  

Name : Heidi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Escondido, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jacqueline-C20997
    Participant
    We are constantly bombarded with images of pencil thin women by the media. Fashion models are beyond thin, almost all of the female actors on TV are unnaturally skinny, esspecially in the shows most popular with young women and teenage girls. These are the images of beauty that we are taught to aspire to.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqueline-C20997, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Effie
    Participant
    I believe that a lot of young woman feel they are not good enough in some way so they think they can fix it by an eating disorder. I have seen many of my friends deteriorate in front of my eyes its sad but no matter what you do there will never be a cure. Its a state of mind and there is no cure for that. Often times I have felt very low and not recognized I often feel fat and think that is the only way to go. There are other ways out you just have to look pretty hard to find them.

User Detail :  

Name : Effie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Mimi
    Participant
    Boys dont want to date fat girls. They want girls like the ones in magazines. If you're not thin, people say youre ugly. That's why.

User Detail :  

Name : Mimi, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : n/a, State : NA Country : South Africa, Social class : Middle class, 

Megan-L21928
    Participant
    People starve themselves in the mistaken belief that weight loss is the answer to every problem. Low self-image is the cause, and there is a known cure: Take Vogue and all of its variations off the magazine racks.

User Detail :  

Name : Megan-L21928, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

chubby
    Participant
    I'm not an expert, but from all I've seen and heard - the root of the issue of eating disorders is control. The people who suffer from eating disorders feel they lack any control over what goes on in their lives. If they can maintain control of their intake - at least they have control over something. Yes, society's standards of unreal physical beauty have quite an impact on these women. I think they feel somewhere inside that any attempt to 'control' beauty standards is hopeless but they can control themselves. There is no solution - if we could find a way to empower those with eating disorders we would also be solving bigger problems. I believe the desparation that plagues these victims is parallel to that of many people in society. Not all women want to look like models - and not all men want to be with them. Some people are desparate to find a way to get this point across.

User Detail :  

Name : chubby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    as a counselor in a psychiatric facility dealing in eating disorders, i can offer the following: among the other social factors noted above, it's important to remember that an eating disorder is an addiction, just like alcoholism, the main purpose of which is to numb the addict to uncomfortable feelings. hospital refeeding programs tend to work only in the short-term. what i've seen work most often is a combination of treatment, therapy and some form of twelve-step recovery program. but it is a difficult process, moreso than the recovery from most other addictions, and therefore it may seem as if 'there is no known cure.' there is a cure, but it lies in the individuals commitment to recovery.

User Detail :  

Name : j. williams, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Taoist, Age : 29, City : los angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : counselor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.