Driving (slowly) while black

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Diane Tabbott
    Participant
    I was just wondering why it seems that so many black drivers drive so s-l-o-w-l-y. Age doesn't seem to matter (although as a rule the higher the age, the lower the speed). Is it fear of attracting the attention of law enforcement? Sometimes it's downright dangerous. Not that other ethnic groups are such stellar drivers, but this pattern seems to be universal.

User Detail :  

Name : Diane Tabbott, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 60, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : webmaster, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cocoa19658
    Participant
    I am black and yet to understand why certain blacks do the things that they do. I am glad that I'm not the only one noticing their way of driving. It appears to me that many blacks don't know how to drive that well. I wonder how a lot of them have gotten their licenses. They either as Diane has described, drive way below the speed limit(fifteen mph or higher) to the point that it blocks traffic, slow down to turn without giving a turn signal, or so busy staring at every black face they see or some girl's big booty that they don't pay attention to their surroundings, and last but not least, they seem reluctanctant to pull over to the opposite side of the street when another car is approaching oncoming from the other side or passing by them. It's like they were driving in the center and have no concept that those white doubled lines are on the pavement for a reason and that's to divide both sides of the road.

User Detail :  

Name : Cocoa19658, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    As a whole, age and slow driving are connected, with elderly men being by far and away the worst and slowest drivers. It's possible most of the elderly in your area are black, but as far as age-related bad driving goes, it's universal. With the younger folk, it might be related with not wanting to attract police attention, as illegal aliens also tend to drive slowly. (The Kansas City area has a huge population of illegals from Mexico primarily, and you can always tell when you're behind one, because they consistently drive `15-20 mph below the posted speed limit on the highway).

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherry19660
    Participant
    Your observation is interesting. However, I am a young black female who has received a total of five traffic citations in six years. Four of those tickets were issued for excessive speed. I usually like to drive between 80 and 90 miles per hour on the open interstates in the left lane. Honestly, the slow 55-mph drivers annoy me.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry19660, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

OrinocoFlow
    Participant
    I, as a black female, can only speak for myself. However, when I have been a passenger in other black people's cars, I've voiced my disgust with the rate of speed at which we were traveling. I was told that they didn't need a ticket or attention from the police. But then again, this is just common sense.

User Detail :  

Name : OrinocoFlow, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 26, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Registered Nurse, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine19661
    Participant
    Simple. I go to college in a fairly 'rich' White area and my father does the exact same thing. It is most definatly to aviod attention from law enforcement. He usually drives at the speed limit, yet gets angry stares from drivers ( usually White) who speed past him when he pulls over to let them go ahead. Some Whites dont seem to have much regard for the speed limit, because they have less incidents with law enforcements. My dad pulls over to let them go, because usually there is a huge amount of cars behind him and they all are going pretty fast. Faster than the speed limit. Can't get in trouble for driving at the speed limit.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19661, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Storrs, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

TL28756
    Participant
    Universal where? In Jacksonville, FL? We drive at the posted speeds just like everyone else on the highway with us. What I notice is elderly people driving s-l-o-w-l-y. All races. Everywhere. Is it fear of getting into an accident? The only pattern I can ascertain is that you are so busy focusing on slow Black drivers, that you don't even pay attention to the other slow drivers on the road.

User Detail :  

Name : TL28756, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 37, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Maggie B.
    Participant
    I haven't noticed this at all. In fact, in my experience, the drivers who are most likely to be going at dangerously slow rates are old (over 60), white Southerners--even more so than old white people from, say, the Midwest.

User Detail :  

Name : Maggie B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20s, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James19727
    Participant
    Greetings Diane, Unfortunatly, Black people, especially black men in this country do need to be careful when they drive. Law enforcement will target a black person in the midst of white drivers going at the same speed. A friend of mine cautioned me to slow down saying not to 'drive like I'm white'.Several tickets and or stops later, I know what he meant.

User Detail :  

Name : James19727, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Deirdre
    Participant
    Where I'm from that is definately not the case. I grab the seat to hold on because (the black side) of my family, as well as many many many of my black friends FLY. Maybe its just in your part of the country?

User Detail :  

Name : Deirdre, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black and white, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Greeneville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Of course it's fear of the law, most importanly fear of the racsit law! How many black man are pulled over without any reason by white policemen? I guess they don't want to give them more reason to stop them!

User Detail :  

Name : ScarletteLastar, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Half Black-Half White, Religion : Humanist, Age : 22, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student/receptioniste, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.