‘Dreaded’ locks?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mike20380
    Participant
    How do people feel about white people with dreadlocks? I am one and have received a lot of mixed feelings from different people.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20380, Gender : M, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Lucy22388
    Participant
    I think it is fine for white people to have dred locks. People should wear their hair however is most comfortable.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22388, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 27, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Thom24763
    Participant
    I think it looks just horrible on whites.

User Detail :  

Name : Thom24763, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Chardon, State : OH Country : United States, 

justin26831
    Participant
    i have to agree. it looks bad on caucasians. dreads are, after all, a hairstyle natural to and pedicated on the natural texture of negroid hair, and that's a funk you can't fake. i've always felt that the same look is achievable for whites by just growing a big beard (naturalistic and wild, certainly not incompatible with rastafarianism, and it connects you with our ancestors), but i ain't gonna tell you what to do with your hair. p.s. i feel i should also note that a close friend must've been the first white i ever saw in dreads(mid-late 80's). and he EARNED his (failed to wash or comb his hair for several months), and when he cut themn off in the early 90's, it was because he was 'sick of people asking (him) where they can score some weed'. african-americans with dreads are generally viewed as intellectuals while european-americans with dreads are generally viewed as dumb hippies.

User Detail :  

Name : justin26831, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : CHICAGO, State : IL Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    I myself have mixed feelings. People all over the world have dreads, but many do it for religious reasons. The people who Americans have connected dreads to are Rastas from the WEst Indies. The reason they have dreads is because in the bible, there are many passages that say that a man shouldn't cut his hair or his beard. i think that if you are going to dread your hair you should do it for reasons which are truly spiritual or cultural. I dont really have a problem with it as long as peeps aren't doing it because its the in thing to do. peace and blessings

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan31630
    Participant
    It might make some people think that they are dissatisfied with their own culture and are therefore trying to get into a different one. Either that or they're just following a trend.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31630, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Pookie
    Participant
    If you like your dreads, by all means, wear them. It's your hair and it doesn't matter what others think. I hope nobody judges you by any measure other than your character, but if they do, don't lose any sleep over it.

User Detail :  

Name : Pookie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 28, City : Bristol, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : court reporter, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Princess-K
    Participant
    Do your thing!

User Detail :  

Name : Princess-K, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary-Z21944
    Participant
    Whites look very silly with dreads or corn rows. Blacks look equally silly with bleached blond hair and ebony black faces. No one seems happy to be what they are I guess.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary-Z21944, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 43, City : Solon, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kelly R.
    I don't really like dreads on anybody. Just not something that i find attractive, but that's not to say that they're bad. I say do whatever you feel is an appropriate expression of who you are.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : university instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary
    Participant
    The true meaning of Dread locks came from the Rastafarians. It was a form of rebellion against the European standard of beauty (i.e. straight blond hair, fair skin, and blue eyes). Black hair naturally dreads. If we wash it regularly and don't comb it, it dreads. To the people of the West Indies, dreads are part of a strong culture. Much like it is customary for Christians to wear a cross. Dreads are a part of a religion, with deep and auspicious meanings associated with not only the wearing of dreads, but the lifestyle you must fallow before you are worthy to where dreads. I can go on and on about the Rastafarian faith, but if you are a true American, you guys always turn peoples' cultures into fashion, so it is a waste of time. Try not to be a typical American, one who has no time to learn about anything if it is not on TV.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Jones, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.