Don’t go all ‘Shanaynay’

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kay20798
    Participant
    If someone is upset with you and waving their hand with fingers outstretched in the air a few inches from your face, is it considered racist to say 'You need to stop going all Shanaynay on me'?

User Detail :  

Name : Kay20798, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Lynne-H
    Participant
    I can't believe people still do that today. That's been out of style since 2002! Since the show 'Martin,' which featured the character 'Shenaenae,' went off the air years ago, I guess you wouldn't be considered racist, but you may be considered deep in a time warp.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynne-H, Gender : F, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, 

FreedaBee
    That would be racist regardless of what the other person was doing. Obviously the use of the name Shanaynay in this context refers to the sometims creative, or unique, names of African Americans. If you said 'Star Jones' instead of 'Shanaynay' it might be different because Star is a particular person known for certain things and you could mean 'You need to stop trying to get things for free' or 'You need to stop buying all those Payless shoes.' But, when you use a black-sounding name that doesn't refer to an individual, what you're really saying is, 'You need to stop going all black on me' and that is rude and racist.

User Detail :  

Name : FreedaBee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 39, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cathy
    Participant
    Ok, I'm going to admit that I definitely laughed at this one. If I was doing that to someone, and then they said 'You need to stop going all Shanaynay on me,' no matter how mad I was I'd probably burst out laughing. That being said, I can still see how it has racist connotations and just for matters of courtesy and decency, I probably would never say something like that unless I was joking around with my friends, who I know would not be offended and would get the joke. But to someone I don't know... I'd probably skip that one.

User Detail :  

Name : Cathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : financial service representative, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.